Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
FISH11

La Jolla 6-2-14

I was so excited that the TV weather forcast said 3mph wind at the coast and partly clowdy. I figured I would take my Malibu X13 I purchased 3 months ago to use as a spare and for family members (like my grandson). So i had taken it out twice to Mission Bay to see how different it would handle from my X Factor. Not too much change in the lenght (8" shorter) but at 29" wide and more rounded edges to the bottom of the hull, it certainly paddles faster. But with me at 5'10" and about 225lbs the center of gravity when all the things are loaded such as 5 poles, Bait tank, Crate and Soft cooler all changes (much higher up). In the bay even with all boat wakes no problem. Going out La Jolla around 8:45am through the surf it did not go over the waves as well as the X Factor and cut through the waves more, no problem. Went out made some bait, a mix of greenbacks and spanish. That was good, got a little surprise when I see about 40 yards away, close to the Kelp a 6' to 7' Mako jump out of the water and make a very large splash. I tried not to worry about it, having caught and seen a smaller one about two and a half feet from my kayak. Went out past the kelp and trolled a Rappala greenback out while I tried to paddle straight out from the condos. There where swells the whole way, but I've been out there when they where twice the size. As I kept getting further out it seemed like the wind kept picking up and was easy over 15mph. Kept going off the swells and sometimes the intervals where so erratic that when going down the other side you would hit the next one and it would go over the bow. It was getting so bad I decided to stop at 140' of water and I would hook up a greenback and flyline it on a drift. As I sat there trying to reach behind me into the bait tank, swell where going by. No problem, I thought, then I get hit by one of those roge swells. Since it was coming from behind I never saw it and I did not have time to correct my balance. Before I could say SH.TTTT… I was in the water. Kayak is upside down most of the poles in the water along with the tackle box. cooler, etc. Good thing I learned a long time ago to have leashes on everything. Well I've practices getting back in my X Factor several times, so I'm like no sweat. Well the narrower X13 with it's more rounded bottom won't hold my weight trying to pull up and 3 time just rolls back over. Now I have fishing lines rapping around my foot so I get the knife and cut the 65lb braid. There goes my Rapala down, I later realize the only thing on the deck that did not have a leashed was my plastic box carrying most of my Irons, some where the wraped kind I hadn't even used yet. After what felt like 10 minutes (provably more like 5) I manage to kick enough with my feet to getmore of my body out of the water while reaching the side handle to pull myself up. Once I had my midsection on the deck all was good. The water kept getting worse so I decided to just go into the kelp to get away from chop. Once there I got all the poles sorted out and started YO YOing the one Iron that was still on one of my rods. I found a very large open pool and tied up to the kelp. Started hooking up on Calicos and has Barracudas chasing the iron. Released all caught. I learned one very valuble leason. My arse is to heavy to use the X13 in rough water. Just too much roll if you weigh more than 200lbs. I'll be sticking to my X Factor, I've been out there in much worse and never felt scared, (about 45 trips to La Jolla and never a problem). Yesterday was a little unnerving. Met a girl named Megan, she was also out there as was coming in at the same time. She was riding a Hobie Outback and provably didn't weigh more than 110lbs soaking wet. When we talked about how off the weather forcast was, she told me that her Kayak was so tippy out there and that it was scarry. It was very hard to tell from the shore it didn't look that bad, but once you got to the other side of the outer kelp than it was a different story. Now I have to start re-stocking my Irons, some lead and hook. It is a small price to pay for the very important leason. Also it is another good reason why it's best to fish with a buddy. Every trip there is a new leason. Respect Mother Nature! Or she'll chew you up and spit you out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Still 4.jpg (48.0 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg Still 9.jpg (51.8 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg GOPR0098.jpg (56.4 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg GOPR0101.jpg (53.6 KB, 182 views)
Old 06-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #2
momo fish

Oh wow. Glad your safe!!
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I would have called it a day much earlier. Glad u made it back safe. I met Megan out there last week. One hell of a yaker!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
FISH11

Cadillyak. Yeah that was my first thought, but I was already wet and it was mostly my fault for not facing the oncoming swells. The regular spacing was ok,but when you get one of those that is following right behind like 1 to seconds behind. If you see it than you can prepare but with your backs to it and the arms are frt. to back on the kayak there is no way to use them to balance yourself. Finally I figured if Yellows where not meant to be on that day the I was going to catch something in the kelp. Never know I've seen WSB in those pools before. I just hate having lost all those Irons.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
Mike scales

Yikes! Glad you're ok.
Mike scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Glad you're OK.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #7
cell128
lizard king

Good to hear your story and glad your safe. I got an outback And I'm about 168lbs I followed my buddy's advice and went out to the harbor to practice re entry and flipping it back over. Its not as easy as it seems. I couldn't get it to flip I had to climb on top of it, grab the handle and throw my self back.. Next time I'll try flipping it from underneath it...might be easier. Re entry was easy but it will probably be 10x harder in deep water as I was only chest high at the harbor. Hopefully Megan has also practiced flipping it or she might be in for some trouble if alone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #8
FISH11

Thanks guys. I'm fine. I wanted to post this to show a lot of people provably don't practice in deeper water. Most important is if you havent tried it in the current kayak your using, you might find out the hard way that every kayak is different and presents a different challenge. I assumed that because I knew how to do it on my X Factor it would be easy. I was wrong but did manage to get back in using the right technique, but it took a lot more effort than with my other kayak. I learned something and I hope it helps others. Tight Lines. Mark.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #9
Jkfish136

Check out waterbug self resure ladder

Please google search waterbug self resure ladder.com to check out their product and video. I made one myself using a rope and a foot long PVC I haven't test it on the water or in my swimming pool yet but it should help with flipping your yak right side up and getting back into it.
Jkfish136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:02 PM   #10
Dannowar

GoPro footage?

Jk. Glad you're safe
Old 06-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #11
FISH11

It wasn't too hard to right the kayak. I did it from underneath and if it wouldn't go than I would reach over the top to grab the opposite side handle. The problems was everytime I would pull myself up onto the deck using both side handles. The minute I had my chest on the deck the body weight on just one side would roll the yak back on it's side. Once I pulled and swim kicked enought to create enertia to get my body more out of the water, than I was able to put the weight on the top of the deck and that kept the kayak from rolling back over. They do sell a rope ladder to get back in, but if you don't find a way to have it put the weight on both sides, than a lighter kayak is going to roll back over. I imagine if it attaches to both sides under the yak than when you step onto the step it would allow you to pull up out of the water while keeping the kayak level. I have never tried one but thought about how one could be made to apply the weight on both sides at the same time.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:05 PM   #12
FISH11

The Go Pro was on the frt. mount but it wasn't on at the time and spent part of that time in the water upside down. Never saw it coming.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:47 AM   #13
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Hey Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Cadillyak. Yeah that was my first thought, but I was already wet and it was mostly my fault for not facing the oncoming swells. The regular spacing was ok,but when you get one of those that is following right behind like 1 to seconds behind. If you see it than you can prepare but with your backs to it and the arms are frt. to back on the kayak there is no way to use them to balance yourself. Finally I figured if Yellows where not meant to be on that day the I was going to catch something in the kelp. Never know I've seen WSB in those pools before. I just hate having lost all those Irons.
x3 on the I'm glad your'e ok! Me and Will were out there that day. It was not nice. I really just need to bring the yak out to LJ, no gear, and practice, practice, practice. Going in, going out, and flipping in deep water. I have yet to do that. I am a good strong swimmer, but the pool at the Kroc Center is not LJ!

Janine