Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #21
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
And how big is the transducer?
It's pretty big, 8" long
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #22
PE.rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Go get try it out and let us know!
You bet.

I'm just a simple yak angler, so I don't know much about the technical details too much... (wasn't making a case for or against).

Just knew that this was a new product in the Yak class, and saw that Jim Sammons was using it on his Yak...

http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/2013/07...on-jims-kayak/

Perhaps I should have just asked him ... or better yet, go down and spend a day fishing with him as a guide to see how the unit functions.

However, I thank ye all for your thoughts . I'm always willing to listen to the advice of others.. which is the point of being a member of a forum right?

Tight lines....
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #23
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

There was a vid posted yesterday for the Jackson Big Rig, it said the new boat is Raymarine Dragonfly ready. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuKRh6Vw37k skip to 3:20

Old 07-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #24
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
There was a vid posted yesterday for the Jackson Big Rig, it said the new boat is Raymarine Dragonfly ready. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuKRh6Vw37k skip to 3:20
Nice vid! Jackson kayaks is stepping up Love the boat...almost perfect...just missing the mirage drive
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #25
JarrodMc

Jim Sammons uses the Dragonfly and I've seen it used otw. It sure seems like a bitchin FF. If I didn't just buy an Elite5 before this came out I would definitely consider buying it. The down imaging is very clear even around 100+ft. Haven't seen it at its limits.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #26
PE.rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrodMc View Post
Jim Sammons uses the Dragonfly and I've seen it used otw. It sure seems like a bitchin FF. If I didn't just buy an Elite5 before this came out I would definitely consider buying it. The down imaging is very clear even around 100+ft. Haven't seen it at its limits.

I've decided to purchase one, but want to see if I can get a good deal with some % off coupon to take the sting out of list price. I've owned other nautical equipment from Raymarine, or should I say Raytheon the parent company. They definitely have the depth and width to come up with the better technologies.

Now I just have to figure out which Jackson Kayak has the built-in transducer mount... .
Old 07-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #27
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE.rider View Post
I've decided to purchase one, but want to see if I can get a good deal with some % off coupon to take the sting out of list price. I've owned other nautical equipment from Raymarine, or should I say Raytheon the parent company. They definitely have the depth and width to come up with the better technologies.

Now I just have to figure out which Jackson Kayak has the built-in transducer mount... .

I would seriously wait for the reviews before you make this purchase on this fish finder which will run you about $800 with tax.
New technology comes with many bugs.

Last edited by driftwood; 07-14-2013 at 08:08 PM.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #28
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
I would seriously wait for the reviews before you make this purchase on this fish finder which will run you about $800 with tax.
New technology comes with many bugs.
X2

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #29
PE.rider

All points taken gentlemen. Perhaps it's wiser to wait a few months until I upgrade the vessel to another model.

As you all know, we spend so much on our marine addiction/affliction .
Old 07-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #30
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Anyone know if this transducer will fit in the transducer ready mount area of the newer Malibu X-Factor?

Old 07-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #31
Siebler

Best sonar I have ever used. Super impressive. I have had mine for about 6 months now and have used in LJ, Bays, Lakes, etc. Works beautifully.

All new Wildy boats will come ready to fit this as well starting with the Thresher. Simply because everybody on the team, the designer, etc is moving to this unit. It blows away competition in clarity and ease of use.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #32
Siebler

Quote:
Anyone know if this transducer will fit in the transducer ready mount area of the newer Malibu X-Factor?
If you had a Lowrance bracket to modify and stuff you could make it happen but not without modification. Then again the Malibus dont even fit the new HDI stuff from Lowrance, at least not very well. They bolt in but hand WAY low.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #33
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
I like my fish finders with MORE POWER!!

good one

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #34
Jim Sammons LJKF

The screen to unit size on the Dragon fly is awesome. I have been using this unit for about a year now and absolutely love it. No issues at all.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #35
Lipripper92592

My next FF is going to be the Dragonfly with the 7" screen. Check out the youtube videos, the most impressive that I have seen is when a diver is on a wreck showing video of what is seen on the FF screen. You could follow the 3/4 dive rope all the way to the wreck, pick out individual supports on the bow rail, rope from bow to the ocean floor. It's the technology of this unit, each crystal in ducer fires at a different frequency, the more crystal's, the better clarity (to some degree).
The tarpon and bait schools are super cool, you could make out the shape of a turtle when sea turtles were below, super cool unit.
Now just link it up to Google Glasses.......maybe some day.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #36
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
If you had a Lowrance bracket to modify and stuff you could make it happen but not without modification. Then again the Malibus dont even fit the new HDI stuff from Lowrance, at least not very well. They bolt in but hand WAY low.
Thanks dude. So it will fit but will hang low.. will it be so low as to hang up on kelp or will it be alright? I'd rather have it mounted near the center of the boat but maybe I should think about mounting it to the rear rudder mount instead.. Seriously thinking of buying one of these units soon if there is a sale somewhere.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #37
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Thanks dude. So it will fit but will hang low.. will it be so low as to hang up on kelp or will it be alright? I'd rather have it mounted near the center of the boat but maybe I should think about mounting it to the rear rudder mount instead.. Seriously thinking of buying one of these units soon if there is a sale somewhere.
Check out the GPS store .com.

Dragonfly 5" is $579 with gold chart
Dragonfly 7" is $769 with gold chart
There are also a few coupons online to reduce it even further.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #38
momo fish

Have not heard good things about gps store plus can you get a warrenty? What kind of coupons are out there btw?

Would rather get from west marine due to warrenty but want to consider all options.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #39
Siebler

Fyi oex sells and offers the same warranty as west marine.

Alan it will catch kelp id say. Off rudder bracket may be best.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #40
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Have not heard good things about gps store plus can you get a warrenty? What kind of coupons are out there btw?

Would rather get from west marine due to warrenty but want to consider all options.
I've bought quite a few things from them over the years. I bought my HDS5 from them for $439. Haven't had any issues with my units, so can't comment on warranty.
The coupons are code based coupons, like spend $300 get 10% off,. Google, GPS store coupons and try the codes until you find one that works.

No extended warranty at the GPS store:
Does The GPS Store, Inc. offer an extended warranty?

No, The GPS Store, Inc. does not offer any extended warranties on the products we sell. Studies have shown that extended warranties are usually only a good value to the people who are selling them. Here at the GPS Store, Inc., we only sell products by reputable manufacturers who offer sufficient end user warranty's which are included in your purchase price. In fact we have found that once a unit powers up and works the first time, the ongoing failure rate is less than one half of one percent. We always strive to provide the best value for our customers and we simply do not believe in extended warranties on GPS and marine electronics products.

So maybe not the best choice for you.

Last edited by Lipripper92592; 07-23-2014 at 07:42 AM. Reason: just found this