Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
DanaPT

and a tip for sabiki storage when not in use. .. I cut a 5 inch section of a pool noodle then halved it. from the bottom of the sabiki rig, I stick the hook in the noodle and wrap the line and other hooks around/into the noodle up to the top swivel. super easy to stow and unwrap when needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foam sabiki.jpg (42.0 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by DanaPT; 08-14-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: pics added. ..
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
kiyo21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
and a tip for sabiki storage when not in use. .. I cut a 5 inch section of a pool noodle then halved it. from the bottom of the sabiki rig, I stick the hook in the noodle and wrap the line and other hooks around/into the noodle up to the top swivel. super easy to stow and unwrap when needed.
Must post pic.!!! GENIUS!
kiyo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #23
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
How often do people use these type of rods on a kayak? Is it worth bringing along a dedicated rod just for bait? or just use the sabiki on one of your big game rods?
It's the only rod I take and use on every trip. I have an Promar Sabiki rod that I cut down to six feet, and I run 5 hook sabikis.

It's just so convenient. I keep it rigged all the time, right now even ( I checked). It's pretty much no worry. I cut the butt cap off the rod and rinse the sabikis with the hose running water right through the rod after each trip, and replace them when the hooks start breaking off.

Kayaking I have it rigged in the holder at all times while I'm paddling. When I see bait on the meter I just drop it down running a 2 ounce sinker and it usually hooks up on the drop. There's an old saying in fly fishing: "match the hatch" I.E. fish what's there, and I'd say there is an advantage to fishing local bait. Sardines Mackerel Spanish Smelt and even squid hit them.

I hardly ever buy bait anymore unless I'm fishing offshore or the the islands, and I figure it's paid for itself many times over.

Often I'll take it on Marlin trips where no-ones seen or used one before. Guys making bait with expensive little trout rods and reels. By the end of the trip everyone is using my sabiki rod to make bait, and completely sold on the idea. It's not really fishing like your used to but it really is a convenient way to make bait without the tangles and problems usually associated with bait rigs.

At this point I wouldn't even consider not taking one, they are that good of a tool.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #24
Redeyejedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
i did similar, but used wine cork to stick hooks in and wrap line around. fits in tb just fine.
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #25
CalTexFisher
Junior

Here's what I use: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shakespear...-Combo/2536582

I just have a swivel tied onto the line at all times and I can pop a sabiki on when I see/need bait, or I can clip on a lure. Even strung with 15 lb test I can feel light bites
CalTexFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #26
dmrides

Sabiki storage:

Get one of those foam tubes used to insulate copper water pipes and cut it to about 6". Put a hair tie (or rubber band) on both ends of the tube. Slide the swivel under one hair tie, stick hooks in as you wind the sabiki down the tube, slide other swivel under the other hair tie. You can wind and unwind while tied to the rod. No tangles, you can re-use your rig over and over and store it in your tackle box.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #27
Vikingj

Dedicated sabiki rod is worth its weight in gold and I take it with me every time. Pays for itself ($50-60) in a short time in both bait & making sabiki tackle last longer. Disadvantage is its not flexible enough for good squid catching and if you get the shorter rod you have to cut a ft or so off of your sabiki leader so it will fit inside. Still its worth it for making fin bait, saving time, and keeping those hooks safely tucked away.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:26 AM   #28
makoslayer

ended up getting one and its decent just a pain to reel in the the hooks that get caught on the top.

Stealth 14 (Sand Camo)
makoslayer is offline   Reply With Quote