Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abking View Post
I say the pool noodles are NOT utterly useless.

When a shark bites your boat and water cannot be prevented from filling your hull you will be glad to have the noodles keep the boat from sinking.

I'm not looking for paddling performance when a shark is circling - I just want to be able to stay on my boat.

Time for my own experiment...

I'll have it on youtube.
Cool. I would like to do this myself as well. We have a cr@p load of noodles for our pool.

I used to live up in Humboldt. Surf, Fish, Free-dive for Ab's. It's a whole different deal in the water up there. Deadly.....
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
CurtyL

Boat noodles make good sense!!! First thing is - glad you're ok dude. Second is LOL! I've seen 2 bait tanks get top heavy and take their owners over the side. This one sounds like a major catastrophe...wow. Way to keep your head and hold on to the paddle to signal with. You get the gift of experience!!!!
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
asystole

Wow! Thanks for sharing this. Glad you're OK and you made it home safely to fish another day. Great example to beginners like me of what can go wrong and how quickly a boat can sink.

Thanks to everyone for the various suggestions of items to carry on a PFD. I for one will be making some adjustments to wear my gear is.
asystole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
radastaff

wow
glad ure oks
late to read this
but very glad i did

guess i always kinda thought
that even it my yak fills with water
it would still kinda stay at the surface
maybe not float but not sink
but maybe not
i do bring alot of tackle to
so prob not

gonna get some noodles now for sure
at least enough to float my lead and irons

i recommend waterproof cell phone
i have the g-zone for a few years now
keep it clipped next to my vhf on my pdf
cell in a baggy
aint gonna be much help in choppy water
with u in the water too

paul
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Let me jump on the bandwagon and express my sympathy for your loss while applauding your ability to not become a causality yourself. Survival when things go bad on the water takes the right mix of experience, common sense and good luck. It looks like you had all three.

Always the innovator, I started thinking about what kind of an accessory might have made this event less costly. I bet a simple device could be constructed that consists of an inflatable bladder that could be filled with air or CO2 by pulling a pin or pressing a button. This bladder, (probably two of them), could be installed in the unused spaces inside the yak in the bow and stern. Just like the air bags in cars, they would go unused for the life of most kayaks but when that emergency occurred, they could be inflated to keep the yak from visiting Davey Jones.

Another idea would be to fill these same unused areas in the bow and stern with lightweight foam making the kayak as unsinkable as a Boston Whaler.

If anyone decides to run with either of these ideas, please let me know and I tell you where to send the royalty checks.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
radastaff

i just got an idea

how bout a yak design
that incorps a 1 or 2" layer of floation
thruout the yaks hull
uniformly
so it would have 2 layers of hull
with the floatation inside it

a few bulkheads with flotation
might be a handy project too

Last edited by radastaff; 04-21-2010 at 07:24 PM.
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #7
asystole

Putting a cell phone in a baggy and stowing it on your PFD is a great idea but... If you have a touch screen cell phone, ie; iphone or droid it may not work if your hands are wet and baggies get holes. I bought a cheap little dry pouch for around $4 and will keep my droid in that. I tested it tonight in the sink to see if I could dial the touch screen through the pouch while it was wet and it worked perfectly. This will be a permanent item for my PFD.
asystole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #8
GregAndrew

Just finished installing my new bungee hold down for my drift chute and hand pump. Thought of a couple of things on the install. Wanted one side of the bungee to be fool proof release, so just a simple plastic hook to wrap the padeye (don't want to be fiddling with a locking terminal). And didn't want to have to leave the center (seat) of my yak to fish it out, so put it in my center hatch. I don't know if my front hatch would stay above water if I had to crawl up there with my yak half filled.

I like the CO2 air bag idea! If you can come up with a small storage device, and a non-electric triggering device that would be easily accessible, and not easily accidentally triggered.

Pool noodles do provide some buoyancy, the relative flotation provided depends on the amount of stuff you have on your yak that is heavier than water. Unfortunately, they also take up some valuable space like the air bladders you can put in the ends of the hull.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:28 AM   #9
yakrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Just finished installing my new bungee hold down for my drift chute and hand pump. Thought of a couple of things on the install. And didn't want to have to leave the center (seat) of my yak to fish it out, so put it in my center hatch. I don't know if my front hatch would stay above water if I had to crawl up there with my yak half filled.

hey greg...
can you take a picture...
I like the sound of your idea...
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:19 AM   #10
werntonb
Junior

Hi bigbarrels. Thank goodness you are a good in swimmer.
werntonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:35 AM   #11
blackRifle
Junior

This is a long shot but...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/2189101703.html

Pm sent also..
blackRifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #12
mtnbykr2

wouldn't that be something if that was the lost yak, what a story....
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
surfnutnj

Found

Actually the coast guard or life guards already found his yak which washed up somewhere in the bay mostly trashed...good looking out though for sure
surfnutnj is offline   Reply With Quote