Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
yotasan

Fishing rod question (surface irons)

I went out looking for a new rod to throw surface irons, (thanks for the advice KEVIN), my question is, when a rod only has the rating for line weight ie: 20-40lb, how do you know if the action is fast, medium or light? I assume if the rod wiggles like a noodle in your hand that's light and what about the power rating (medium, heavy)?

The shop I went to (shall be nameless) said that any rod will work, just as long as you know what weight line your using . The sales person told me that I don't want anything longer than 7 1/2 feet because I'm on a kayak and don't need distance .. If that's the case, I'll just use my fresh water bass rod to sling irons at 20lb croakers and put my shimano TLD 15/30 on it. I acutally did that last night, absolutley RIDICULOUS looking but cool in an odd way. I know I'd get some serious looks on the water if I showed up with that setup..

yotasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Sounds like that shop was a lot of help. 30-60 is usually a heavy jig stick, 20-50 is a medium heavy, 20-40 is a medium. Anything less than that is light.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
kayakhunter

keep it simple

Get One of These:

Calstar: GG690j or 90j

And One of These:

Daiwa Saltist: 35 or 40
Newell: 332
Shimano Trinidad: 16n

And One of These:
kayakhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
yotasan

thanks Kevin

I didn't want to keep hitting you with all the questions. Still learning this saltwater stuff..
Old 09-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotasan View Post
I didn't want to keep hitting you with all the questions. Still learning this saltwater stuff..
That's what were all here for. Progressing the sport. Ask away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakhunter View Post
Get One of These:

Calstar: GG690j or 90j

And One of These:

Daiwa Saltist: 35 or 40
Newell: 332
Shimano Trinidad: 16n

And One of These:
x2
Old 09-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
sammysamsam

90j for the bigger irons in my opinion. Thats what i got right now with a 35h.
sammysamsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
YakMedic

I was looking at the Trinidad 16n but the line capacity seemed too low. How much line should be needed for a dedicated surface iron reel?
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
I was looking at the Trinidad 16n but the line capacity seemed too low. How much line should be needed for a dedicated surface iron reel?
Depends on whether you are using straight braid or mono. Mono you would want a Saltist 40 or trini 20. Braid- saltist 35 or trini 16
Old 09-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
kayakhunter

My main surface iron rig is a Trini 16n filled with 50lb or 65lb braid with a calstar GG690j, just use a short 3' piece of mono or flouro as a leader, makes lame jigs swim good and good jigs swim real good and if you get kelped, no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
kayakhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
yotasan

I have to GOOGLE all this stuff for images so I know what you guys are talking about.

Will I be able to throw smaller irons (3oz) with the setup recommendations mentioned above? What's the minimum and maximum weight irons I can throw with these setups? Do i need to carry five different rods for surface irons or will just using a certain line weight on one rod be enough? i don't know, that's why I ask.

I know the saying, fishing is like golf, you use clubs for certain conditions. I have 14 clubs in my bag, right now I can't afford 14 specialized rod setups.. I know what I want to do when I'm on the water, catch FISH.

At times I want to troll and soak live bait but I'm more of the "busy body" fisherman. I want to be involved, always casting and throwing lures. That's why I saved up and bought a REVO, hands free more fishing.. I want to throw surface irons, jig for bass on boilers, and fish small swimbaits and stuff for the bays, vice versa. I'm assuming I can use my heavier freshwater setups for the bass and bay stuff, but I want a setup that will handle a wider range of weights for surface irons, is that far fetched? So at the moment, I'm utilizing all my freshwater stuff. I want to expand and learn. That's what's so awesome about KAYAK fishing.. You can target specific fish and have the freedom to fish anywhere and anything you really want. You're not on a boat with a dozen guys fighting over 1 spot , we have FREEDOM.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

3 oz will be one of the larger model surface iron (Salas 7X). A small iron weighs around 2.2 oz (Tady C). If you would like to have the widest range for casting all sorts of sizes go with one of the above choices-690 or 90J. Those have an action that fits the bill will a Tady 45 and Tady C weight range from 2.8-2.0 oz. Covers a few different jig makes and models.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #12
fishaholic

Sabre 540 10' rod and a Newell 332
fishaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
taggermike

That was some great advice you got from the "un-named" shop. As for actions on So Cal style jig sticks you usually talk about fast or slow. Some sticks are slow and parabolic, they take a while to load and unload. I have cast old Harnells that felt like I was trying to snap a bull whip. When my hands were pointed at the horizon the rod tip was still pointing strait behind me. I felt like I was waiting for the rod to roll over my head and unload the jig. Faster rods cast more like other rods in that they mostly flex and load in the top 1/3 or so. I'll use the seeker ulua as an example of this style. It is a fast, stiff jig stick that I find difficult to load. I can cast it well but it feels different than other sticks I have used. There seams to be a trend away from the super slow rods but both styles cast very well once you get the timing and a repeatable casting rythem down. If you know some one who can let you take some swings with thier rods you can get a feel for what works for you. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote