Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
DHSDave

What's your cruise/top speed?

After my first trip out to SD Bay, I noticed that according to my FF cruising speed seems to be about 1.35MPH with a top speed of around 3MPH for short bursts. Yak is a Mailbu Stealth with an Aquabound Carbon Stingray paddle. Would have probably been better to test this on a lake with no tidal fluctuations but just wondering if this seems to be about right given my setup? What are you guys getting in terms of speed?
DHSDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHSDave View Post
After my first trip out to SD Bay, I noticed that according to my FF cruising speed seems to be about 1.35MPH with a top speed of around 3MPH for short bursts. Yak is a Mailbu Stealth with an Aquabound Carbon Stingray paddle. Would have probably been better to test this on a lake with no tidal fluctuations but just wondering if this seems to be about right given my setup? What are you guys getting in terms of speed?

Well i have never been on a lake, but on a calm flat ocean no wind day, i can make 2.5, 4.5 mph in short busrt. I have the ultimate, tank of plastic battle ship. THE X-FACTOR.

now if there is current, wind, you will never get a correct reading. You can be paddling 7 mph and going against wind and current and your fishing finder will read .5mph.

Now if you are going with wind and currents you can have a nice cruising speed of 2mph or more without even paddling.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
DHSDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
Well i have never been on a lake, but on a calm flat ocean no wind day, i can make 2.5, 4.5 mph in short busrt. I have the ultimate, tank of plastic battle ship. THE X-FACTOR.

now if there is current, wind, you will never get a correct reading. You can be paddling 7 mph and going against wind and current and your fishing finder will read .5mph.

Now if you are going with wind and currents you can have a nice cruising speed of 2mph or more without even paddling.
Good points especially regarding the wind factor. Eventually I'd like to step up to a better paddle, what are you using on your X-Factor?
DHSDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
GregAndrew

Lots of factors are going to effect your speed on the water. Current, wind, profile (wind resistance), paddle stroke, and length and width of kayak are your main culprits. Current and wind are going to be your most noticeable factors on a day to day basis. With no wind or current I can maintain 3mph quite comfortably, and have had my yak (Trident 15) to 6mph on a short burst. I have also paddled like hell and barely made 1mph into wind and current. It is good to keep an eye on your speed in different conditions cause it can help you learn your limitations and set your boundaries.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
maui jim

Mine is 2 BPH (Beer per hour)... Some times I run out of fuel...
Old 09-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
Monovasia

With the Mirage drive, I can maintain around 3 knots no problem for quite some time...burst to 3.5 or better, on the paddle I can go as fast for a third as long....I have the turbo fins on the drive..
Monovasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHSDave View Post
Good points especially regarding the wind factor. Eventually I'd like to step up to a better paddle, what are you using on your X-Factor?

I am using the Werner Kalista.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
MVC

The speed on your fishfinder is a function of the GPS. Wind and current would not effect your true speed.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote