Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
StinkyMatt

Post your suggestions on fishing for Mr. T

I got the bug to get me a T shark.
If you have experience fishing for them please share what you know.

How, when, etc.

Special safety issues (i can think of one)

Meat handling, prep, meal prep, etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Zed
BANNED

If you want to fish FOR them, I would use a heavy leader, like 80 or 100.
A nice big hook and a mackerel.

They commonly come up to feed on the slack high tide. Watch for birds and slashing tails. Fish outside, like 100' or more. Don't try and boat a green one. Let it tire out. Once you get it close you can grab the tail and then lever your foot under the belly behind the pec fin. That way if it gets feisty, you can let go of the tail quickly and it will be pointed away from you They don't swim backwards. I would suggest you have a partner to get it on board if it's 100# or more.

Dispatching it on the yak can be dicey. You can cut gills, and spike the brain, but easier said than done in rough conditions. Again a partner is a big help. Once you get it on board and dispatched get to shore fast, and get it chilled fast. Best way is to dress it (remove head, fins, tail and guts) and fill the cavity w/ ice. Once it's chilled, then finish the cleaning. Easiest is to steak it, but have a knife sharpener handy as the skin and spine will dull knives fast.

You can't shake a dead mack w/o hitting one from Dana Pt to Newport lately.

IMO, it is way more trouble than it's worth. C&Ring a couple to several in a day is much more fun than catching one, and then dealing with it for the rest of the day.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
If you want to fish FOR them, I would use a heavy leader, like 80 or 100.
A nice big hook and a mackerel.

They commonly come up to feed on the slack high tide. Watch for birds and slashing tails. Fish outside, like 100' or more. Don't try and boat a green one. Let it tire out. Once you get it close you can grab the tail and then lever your foot under the belly behind the pec fin. That way if it gets feisty, you can let go of the tail quickly and it will be pointed away from you They don't swim backwards. I would suggest you have a partner to get it on board if it's 100# or more.

Dispatching it on the yak can be dicey. You can cut gills, and spike the brain, but easier said than done in rough conditions. Again a partner is a big help. Once you get it on board and dispatched get to shore fast, and get it chilled fast. Best way is to dress it (remove head, fins, tail and guts) and fill the cavity w/ ice. Once it's chilled, then finish the cleaning. Easiest is to steak it, but have a knife sharpener handy as the skin and spine will dull knives fast.

You can't shake a dead mack w/o hitting one from Dana Pt to Newport lately.

IMO, it is way more trouble than it's worth. C&Ring a couple to several in a day is much more fun than catching one, and then dealing with it for the rest of the day.

Good luck.

In other words: If you want to see Matt take a bath, please tag along.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
-scallywag-
Banned

I dunno, those T's are pretty elusive, and really picky feeders.....troll a big rapala....just make sure you change out those wimpy stock treble hooks for some bigger sharper, more heavy duty ones...ohh yeh ....make sure you run all three trebles too....
Also make sure you post plenty of pics on here, and BD to get the full effect!!

-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
pchen911

I wish you had asked this question and gotten all this reply a week ago. I could have used the information.

I caught this one on 20 lb line about a week ago. My first that came this far without breaking off. Hooked perfectly on the corner of mouth, not far past the reserve bouy, broke through one strand of kelp, worked him until exhaustion, got him to the side of the yak... Then I was lost... and wasn't sure on what to do after that

So I ended up cutting him loose. And 2 days later, Yani tells me they taste better than swordfish.... Doh!
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Outside Long beach and Seal Beach, I have cut off my fair share, not something I'm Interested in bringing to the table.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
PapaDave

I usually use a trolled Rapala in a yellow/green mackerel pattern or troll a live mackerel, or both at about 1.5-1.75 mph. I have hooked them in 45-60ft usually a little outside the kelp.

And if they come aboard, they will be invited to dinner.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote