Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
Kailolo

Front Rod Holder Problems--Ram 2008 or Scotty?

Any suggestions to keep a RAM 2008 rod holder (1.5 inch ball) from tilting to water level when it holds a heavy reel (e.g. jig master) and tiger rod? I seem to have it as tight as I can make it by hand, but from about a 45 degree angle it still slips down to water level. Any tricks to keep it fixed at about 45 degrees during trolling, but still able to place it flat on landings?

I won a Scotty Baitcaster/spinning Rod Holder with Gear-head Mount Kit that looks like it would keep its angle. And might accommodate a Jig master. I'm thinking to remove the ball mount and install the Scotty. But I've always used ball mounts in the past. The older metal Ram Rod holders seemd to hold thier positions a lot better htna the new plastic ones.
Kailolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

The problem is a bad design with too much leverage on the clamp due to the length of the tube.

There are a couple things you can try. You probably noticed that the device has less holding power in the direction of the open edges of the clamp. Rotate the tube so the solid edges of clamp point toward the direction that you want the maximum holding power. Unless your unit is worn out, you should be able to lock it down in that direction without using to much muscle.

If your ball or clamp faces have become too smooth, you might try wrapping the ball with something like a thin piece of rubber or even some sturdy rough fabric.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
...................try wrapping the ball with something like a thin piece of rubber or even some sturdy rough fabric

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
Kailolo

Thanks

I'll try the rubber/fabric idea. Thanks!

When I tried to lock the holder in a position so the solid edges pointed towards the desired angle, I think the clamp hit the kayak preventing it from angling at the desired angle.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Drake

I would try to scuff up the ball as well, give it some texture to give it grip.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
PapaDave

I have the same problem, thanks for the suggestions.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailolo View Post
When I tried to lock the holder in a position so the solid edges pointed towards the desired angle, I think the clamp hit the kayak preventing it from angling at the desired angle.
Rotate the tube so that the "T" on the clamp points to the inside of the boat. That should give you plenty of adjustment space.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
Kailolo

Old vs New--Lighter is not always better!

I just figured out why an older aluminum tube holds its position better than the new, lighter plastic "2008" tubes--the clamp provided with the metal tube has ridges inside where the clamp holds the rubber ball; whereas the same area on the clamp provided with the plastic tube is perfectly smooth! The ridges of the old clamps created indents across the ball's surface that prevented slippage.

I think I can best mimic the old clamp's "grabbing" surface by scoring the inside of the new clamp (maybe with a hot nail or Dremel) or with sandpaper. Gonna try that.

Also may try swapping clamp parts.

By the by, the T on the inside still limited placement.