Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
DHSDave

Smile Looking for Advice on X Factor Purchase....

Hey Guys,

Recently just joined up to the Site, been fishing SD offshore waters for the past 8 years and finally want to give yaking a go. I am familiar with the X Factor model and really enjoy that model. I am 6'4" 230 so it also seems like a better overall fit for me. I've been reading up on all the threads I can to get a jump start on things.

I've been debating on whether I should go for a used or new X Factor. After seeing the reviews on the new 2012 factor I am definitely leaning towards going new. I love the idea of a second elevated enclosed hatch converted to a bait tank, the added gator hatch front and warranty coverage.

My plan is to fish/Hoop SD bay and La Jolla Kelps.

I've already purchased a few items already including a Aqua Sting Ray Carbon Paddle 240cm, Stohlquist Fisherman PFD, Icom M72 VHF and a rack/storage system for starters.

Planning on buying the yak around labor day, hopefully there will be a sale going on. If I go the brand new route, any recommendations on what options I should add other than the battery box, bait tank and eagle cuda ff? Thanks in advance!
DHSDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
DanaPT

your first yak probably won't be your last. . .

New is nice. Not sure a warranty will amount to any practical use (but maybe).

I bought a used kayak full of goodies. I had nothing, and needed a lot of extras. In the future I just may buy a kayak of my dreams (probably used of course).

Some of "us" have to buy new so guys like me can buy used.

Get on the water already.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
Drake

Malibu's warranty is hit or miss. I personally haven't had a bad experience with them, but have heard others complain. Personally, I think it all comes down to how the "complainers" felt about the product vs the service. I've definitely had some issues with my Stealth, but Malibu has been good about ramification.

Theres a used Xfactor (I believe its Jordan's) on CL, I've seen the boat before in person and I would attest that it's a good deal.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
bigbarrels

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=11261

Looks like a good deal and stable otw......probably paddles as slow as an X Factor
Old 08-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
bluesquids

I swear that my first generation XF with he smooth bottom is a good deal faster than the newer ones paddled side by side. But you have to make sure the plastic around the scuppers isn't poured too thin or else the bottom puckers out around them.