Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #21
jorluivil

Rather than start a new thread here's what I did.

First, my fishing license, sealed it with a Foodsaver vacuum sealer......easy as 1,2,3. No pics of this one

Second was the Lobster Report Card. I have some heavy duty over sized ziplock bags so I started experimenting and it works out great.

Step 1: Took my report card and folded it in half.

Step 2: Took that half and folded it in half so that I ended up with a 1/4 size of the report card.

Step 3: Laid the report card over the over sized bag and made two marks to identify where it should be sealed.

Step 4: Place the bag over the sealing strip, left a little wiggle room so that it would be easy putting back in.

Step 5: Sealed the sides of the bag just to reinforce them.

Step 6: Cut the excess baggage off and here's what remains.

Last edited by jorluivil; 01-17-2011 at 05:01 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #22
jorluivil

Anyone know why my do my pics come out small?
Old 01-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #23
old_rookie

The link to them are the thumbnails:

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af96/jorgelvillegas/th_FishingLicense009.jpg

See where it has the th_ in front of the image?

Not sure why this link goes to some other site...
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #24
dorado50

absolutly amazing! and to think I have been slogging my licenses in some dumbass canister with a line attached.damnit
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #25
poorpaddy

Send a message via Yahoo to poorpaddy
I have mine all folded up in a plastic card holder (like the ones you get a tradeshows or comic-con) and lanyard it around my neck. I do this because I've never had issues with water splashing (granted not dunked) damaging my licenses and old habits are hard to break free from now that you don't have to have it visible at all times.

Very good to know. I must be careful about capsizing with my license around my neck.
poorpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #26
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorpaddy View Post
I have mine all folded up in a plastic card holder (like the ones you get a tradeshows or comic-con) and lanyard it around my neck. I do this because I've never had issues with water splashing (granted not dunked) damaging my licenses and old habits are hard to break.....

I used to use card holders but the problems I had was it first was one more thing I had to remember to take, and if I got water in there and did not notice it the water stayed in there and caused the same license rot problems. With the old licenses the paper would last but the stamps would screw up. I haven't worn my license like that in over a decade. Like the net rule most DFG officers patrolling saltwater knew that rule was BS and never enforced it on the water.

I just want to stick my license in my wallet and not deal with it, this works better for me.

It's funny I've had few guys on various boards act like sealing your license is stupid or unnecessary but my take is the post isn't for them since these guys probably do not fish that much, so naturally it's not an issue or unnecessary for them

It's all a matter of perspective or where your coming from I guess.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #27
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller View Post
Now that they are all printed out what do you do if you want to add an extra pole or other endorsment after you have already bought your license. Before they could just give you the stamp to put on... just curious
You can still buy stamps and stick them on the back.

Jim
Old 01-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #28
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post

Step 6: Cut the excess baggage off and here's what remains.

LOL... that is exactly what I did for my report card though I folded it one more time and made the bag half the size. Good stuff!!

You hooping tonight? Perfect weather except for the moon.

Jim
Old 01-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #29
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
The link to them are the thumbnails:

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af96/jorgelvillegas/th_FishingLicense009.jpg

See where it has the th_ in front of the image?

Not sure why this link goes to some other site...

Thanks for the info....got it fixed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
LOL... that is exactly what I did for my report card though I folded it one more time and made the bag half the size. Good stuff!!

You hooping tonight? Perfect weather except for the moon.

Jim
No hooping tonight.......back to work tonight.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #30
poorpaddy

Send a message via Yahoo to poorpaddy
I hear ya Jim. My card holder is a bit higher-end though. It's actually closer to a drybag for a cell phone because it is fully enclosed and the lanyard attaches to a an attached lip that doesn't give entry to the pouch. I think it would last a quick dunking and its been through the ringer on splashes but probably not a capsizing. I believe there are policies in place to get replacements if needed. Now that I have a YakPak3, I am going to place it into top pouch (dry pouch for maps) and use it as my tackle bag. Then I'll no longer need to worry about it since I don't need it visibly my persons anymore and my tackle will be with me where ever I fish anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
I used to use card holders but the problems I had was it first was one more thing I had to remember to take, and if I got water in there and did not notice it the water stayed in there and caused the same license rot problems. With the old licenses the paper would last but the stamps would screw up. I haven't worn my license like that in over a decade. Like the net rule most DFG officers patrolling saltwater knew that rule was BS and never enforced it on the water.

I just want to stick my license in my wallet and not deal with it, this works better for me.

It's funny I've had few guys on various boards act like sealing your license is stupid or unnecessary but my take is the post isn't for them since these guys probably do not fish that much, so naturally it's not an issue or unnecessary for them

It's all a matter of perspective or where your coming from I guess.

Jim
poorpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #31
bubblehide

Another ingenious idea Jim, simple, easy, and cheap; it has Jim written all over it. But one would think that F&G realized the need for waterproof paper since it was what they were using. Clearly the new license and subsequent report cards are a step backwards. I suspect when F&G begins to get back report cards that have been wet, they'll reconsider that waterproof paper is a bit more important than lost data collection ability. Then there's the enforcement issue of a waterlogged license that is not exactly readable, yet running the person proves the license's validity. At this point, it's a bag of worms to me; but I like your solution Jim (it keeps us out of trouble). Yet I don't think we should be responsible for taking such measures, when waterproof paper was a perfect cure; yet it's the smart thing to do.

Jim, gotta love all your ideas, well thought out, and step by step fool proof instructions (for most anyway) accompanied by great pictures; your such an asset to this and other sites, and often un/under appreciated.

If I haven't said it yet, Thanks!
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #32
dorado50

If it were'nt for the step by step instructions I'm sure I would of F..'d it up.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #33
bubblehide

Oh my another comedian.

Actually I was referring to all of Jim's how to posts.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #34
j mo

well I lost mine, instead of a free duplicate, I got the priveledge to pay $10 to get a new one printed off....
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #35
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j mo View Post
well I lost mine, instead of a free duplicate, I got the priveledge to pay $10 to get a new one printed off....

Duplicates never were free?

My fishing license last year and my Special Use Permit A/B was on on this paper and ive yet to have any issues. I keep my stuff in my wallet and my wallet in a drybag while fishing. I tend to try not to get my wallet wet so it works to keep the license dry too.

I just cant believe that this years license was over 50.00 and I dont even buy a 2nd rod stamp....

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #36
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by j mo View Post
I think it was $9 dollars to get a duplicate in the past... but I'm often wrong.

Kayakers sure do find stupid things to complain about...

Did anyone ever see that south park episode about the Prius...?

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #37
bubblehide

Ok, my mistake, the paper is waterproof according to F&G, but it appears that the ink they use is not, or and/or ink in general doesn't adhere to the paper well and is subject to smearing and/or smearing off when wet, thus the need to keep them dry; good luck with those report cards boys, and girls.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #38
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
Ok, my mistake, the paper is waterproof according to F&G, but it appears that the ink they use is not, or and/or ink in general doesn't adhere to the paper well and is subject to smearing and/or smearing off when wet, thus the need to keep them dry; good luck with those report cards boys, and girls.
There is water proof and water proof...

Actually its when the paper gets wet it then sticks together, so then when you try to unfold it it lifts the surface and text off part of the paper where it is stuck together. With me I just pulled the folded up license out of my wallet and handed to the warden, when he unfolded it part of the text was missing.

If you look at the original you can see a mirror image of the part that lifted in middle stuck to the bottom of the license.

I'm not sure when it got wet or if it just got damp from leaky waders or sweat but all I know is it got screwed up and as a result I almost got a ticket, and I don't want it to happen again.

Like I said it's a heads up post really I could care less what other people do with their licenses

Jim