Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
jorluivil

6V battery charging issues

I recently bought a 12v Pelican box combo for my FF and an extra 6v battery at OEX in Sunset Beach. I placed the 12v battery on the charger and got a full charge but the 6v doesn't seem to get a complete charge, the battery has been on the charger for at least 24hrs. Could the battery be defective? The charger is a combo 6v/12v charger with a fully charged indicator light. The battery is not hot and the charger does not show any indication that the battery is bad. Should I take it back?
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
Aaron

The 6v battery may have a higher amh value than the 12v which means it may take a bit longer to charge I believe. I've had batteries take a bit longer than a day to charge fully. Make sure that you have your selector on "6v" and not "12v" too. Throw a voltmeter on it and check it, give it a bit more time, and then if all else fails, then take it back.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
peguinpower
bing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapdawg711 View Post
The 6v battery may have a higher amh value than the 12v which means it may take a bit longer to charge I believe. I've had batteries take a bit longer than a day to charge fully. Make sure that you have your selector on "6v" and not "12v" too. Throw a voltmeter on it and check it, give it a bit more time, and then if all else fails, then take it back.
yep. those 6v's at hald the width of the 12s are 12 amps. If you have a 6v that is as wide as your 12v, that's probably a 20 amper. if it doesnt fully charge in a couple of days, then its probably bad. did you take a reading with a DVM? If its not reading anything above 6 volts, then youre sure its bad.

/bing
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Most batteries get warm while charging. Are you sure you have current going to the battery?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
Billy V

How many AMPS is the 6 volt ?

-If its a 6 volt 12 amp battery it should be fully charged in a few hours with a 1.5 amp charger. My 6 volt/12 amp always reacted that way.

if you're having a problem bring it back.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
GregAndrew

Lots of the less expensive chargers put out 500ma or less. That would mean that a 12ah battery would take 24 hours to fully charge a spent battery. That time could be even longer if the battery or charger terminals are not clean and securely connected. Also, I would not trust that the output of the cheap chargers is accurate. I have had 6v 12ah batteries take 2 days to charge fully due to one or more of these problems.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #7
jorluivil

I just checked the battery and it's at 7.14v but the charger does not indicate a full charge. The paperwork for the charger indicates that the Output Current Rating for 6v is 1.5a with a Maximum Charge Voltage of 7.4v for a 6v battery. Obviously, I've reached the MCV but the charger does not indicate a full charge. I'm confident that I have a good battery so I'm wondering if I should take the charger back and get a better one.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I just checked the battery and it's at 7.14v but the charger does not indicate a full charge. The paperwork for the charger indicates that the Output Current Rating for 6v is 1.5a with a Maximum Charge Voltage of 7.4v for a 6v battery. Obviously, I've reached the MCV but the charger does not indicate a full charge. I'm confident that I have a good battery so I'm wondering if I should take the charger back and get a better one.
The problem is with the charger..it is not recognizing that the battery's charged..

Think about this a minute.. two mechanical objects: one is simple, one is complex.. Which is more likely to malfunction well... the complex one.

The real question is....Is it continuing to charge the battery after it's fully charged?

Sounds like it is and that is bad news.. You can still use the charger like a manual charger check the voltage and disconnect it when it's done, but just don't expect it's automatic settings to work...

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 05-21-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
jorluivil

SURPRISE SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!!!

I got home and found that the charger finally indicated a full charge. I ran my bait pump (Tsunami T500) for about 20min and put the battery back on the charger, a few minutes later it indicated that it was fully charged. Not to happy with the fact that it took almost two days to charge so I'll be returning the charger for something better.........any suggestions?