Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
tptrench

bait tank help

I was hoping someone would know where I could take my bait tank to have a few connections made. I need 3 connections that need sautering and shrink wrapped, all inside the battery box that sits on top of the actual tank. I don't have the tools or know how to do this. Help, TP
tptrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
Hunters Pa

Could just use the crimp on butt connectors and then do the heat shrink over that. I usually put on a few layers of liquid electrical tape for good measure
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
Rob929

OEX!

Or if you do end up doing it yourself, you can also bury the connections in marine goop if you have any.
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
GregAndrew

If the battery box is water tight, and all of the connections are inside the box, then a simple wire nut or crimp on connector will be fine. You can find those at your local auto parts place or hardware store. A pair of pliers will fasten the crimp on connectors.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
stairman

solder

solder the connections, shrink wrap ,and liquid electrical tape.You won't have to do it again.I had connections that were constantly wet with salt water that lasted ten years with that combo on an old boat that I owned.

Soldering is not difficult if you have rosin core silver solder and a good soldering iron.Just don't try to do it with old corroded wire.Strip a half inch of each side of the connection wire push them to gether and let your iron get good and hot before you try. if you can pull it apart when your done your not done try again.
Ps 3 dollar soldering irons don't work very well.go to frys and spend 40$ and you'll never need a new one.
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Go to OEX or go to a hardware store and get a set of Heat shrink tubing/heat shrink crimps/Crimper/Lighter and do it yourself. The latter will be the cheapest way to go. You will still have to pay for the connectors either way. If you do it yourself get a couple of extra connectors for any whoops.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote