Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
Schmalzy88

beginner sit on kayak

Looking to purchase a sit on variety kayak to replace my current sit in kayak in order to enable me to get into some of the fishing that you guys are tantalizing me with in your posts. My only setback at this point is the financial ability to buy one and a lack of knowledge in the matter. I'm going to be around the $300-350 range ( know its not a lot but I'm a broke college student). I would appreciate some insight on the matter and some suggestions. I'm aware of the array of exciting upgrades available to the sit on's but just wondering what might be a good step in the right direction to building a beast. Certainly selling my current sit in would be a huge step in the right direction (its in the gear for sale page) and if anyone knows of anyone looking to grab a sit in for the bay or freshwater would also be appreciated. Already on cragslist trying to sell as well. Cheers.
Schmalzy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
rayster
Junior

If you have the time this weekend goto OEX Sunset Beach and there demo days. Ask about the Ocean Kayak seconds that they have at times.

Ray
rayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Moken

Not to familiar with paddle types, but if u expand your range to $400, you definitely have options. I went on Craigslist and found a bunch around $400. Like this one being sold on BWE.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=21216

U may be able to work so something out. BWE members look out for their brethren.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #4
Amish Ed

Definitely ask Andy at OEX Sunset Beach. Maybe he has something used that would fit your budget. Personally, I wouldn't go shorter than 12'.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Do your research and find the right fit. I speak from personal experience. I know what hulls work for me through trial and error. If you can't afford the right kayak now then shelf your budget and save a little more. If you end up buying a bunk kayak because it was in your budget, you will most likely sell it fora loss so you can upgrade, putting you back even more money. The prowler series is a great kayak and you cab find some pretty good deals out there

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
Mongo Johnson

Ray is right.

Check with OEX Sunset Beach today. They've got some kind of event THIS weekend 3/15. Also, with your budget, they've done a lot of clearance work with Malibu blems. Good boats and a price fit for you.

There's a guy in Whittier selling off all his stuff before moving.

He may still have a sit-on-top cheap
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=20860
Old 03-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo Johnson View Post
Ray is right.

Check with OEX Sunset Beach today. They've got some kind of event THIS weekend 3/15. Also, with your budget, they've done a lot of clearance work with Malibu blems. Good boats and a price fit for you.

There's a guy in Whittier selling off all his stuff before moving.

He may still have a sit-on-top cheap
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=20860
Nope, I bought his kayak

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #8
Mongo Johnson

Try OEX Sunset Beach FIRST. They really know the boats and fishin'. They sometimes sell off their rental stock. Might be well used, but working fine.

Malibu's factory is next door to you in Paramount . . . might be worth calling them about their "blems." Might be worth reading of their boats on the forum to see what's popular and then target those specific models. You may have better luck if they don't have to fill a salesperson role.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
Schmalzy88

thanks fellas

gonna try and get down to OEX this weekend. have to work all weekend as usual but im going to try. also didnt know about the malibu factory near by gonna look into that as well. i appreciate the info
Schmalzy88 is offline   Reply With Quote