Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
el pescator

Im the new guy

Hi all!
Well the title says it all. I"m an avid fisherman and after careful thought and a bit of destiny I have found myself in your great company! I have been in the market for a center console lately and because of expense haven't been able to pull the trigger on a desired toy. While driving through the neighborhood the other day a kayak caught my eye. A trident 11 with a Mark 4, KFS Ultimate bait tank, anchor and adjustable pulley system, nice PFD, 6 rod holders, waterproof battery boxes, new bungees and an adjustable carbon fiber paddle for $700... After a not so lengthily conversation with my gal the decision to buy was reached fairly quickly after a nice lunch and a couple Ballast Point Victory at Sea's! I know that all you guys need is another guy crowding the fishing grounds but I actually have respect and a conscience. I don't want to be that guy... I am looking forward to getting into this sport with all of you and hope you'd be able to help me out with a little info. Of course I'm ready to pay my do's but I do have a couple question that would help me feel a bit more comfortable if answered. Please note, without spitting on your laptop in disgust, that you should know that I've never used a kayak. I know...... I have been surfing for 27 years and fish the sport boats often. I am very comfortable in the water and live in Point Loma... Anyhoo, here are a few questions...

1: Where is a good place to launch in SDbay?
2: As an avid fisherman I naturally want to fish for WSB and YT in LJ but should I stick to the bay while I get a hang of things on a kayak?
3: Is there a safety course someone could recommend before I head out to the Kelp Beds?
4: When is the best time to fish a kayak? Is wind a major factor?
5: Should I stick to artificials as I learn the ropes or go straight to making bait?
6: Are you guys gonna gang up on me and sink me into the submarine canyons of LJ? (please don't answer honestly as I like to sleep at night)
7: Is there a VHF channel you guys frequent as Kayak fisherman for info, chat, etc?
I can tell by reading the most recent posts that this is a pretty tight nit group of serious and dedicated fisherman. Also seems to me to be a great group of guys and sense of community. I share the same love for the sport and have a few tricks of my own I'd like to share. With the utmost respect I'd like to formally say thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer and you can be assured that I will be a respectful and eager member of this community. May you all have tight lines and good fortune!

Ed Aka. el pescator
el pescator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by el pescator View Post
1: Where is a good place to launch in SDbay?
Shelter Island or Lawrence Beach
2: As an avid fisherman I naturally want to fish for WSB and YT in LJ but should I stick to the bay while I get a hang of things on a kayak?
Comfortability is key. I have seen a guy on a rental kayak catch a YT his first time everybeing on a kayak. However, expect to get a few trips under your belt before you have the opporuntiy to pull on one of these
3: Is there a safety course someone could recommend before I head out to the Kelp Beds?
Not really a "safety" course but pair up with any of the new guys, or feel free to padde out and just pick the brains of people you meet on the water. Most are friendly and will steer you in the right direction.
4: When is the best time to fish a kayak? Is wind a major factor?
There is a link to the forecast at the top of the page. Generally, you want to paddle out in small swell, lite wind and leave with the outgoing tide and return with the incoming. Fighting wind and tides can tripple the effort and time it takes to paddle home
5: Should I stick to artificials as I learn the ropes or go straight to making bait?
Artficials are more difficult than live bait, but when used properly but are equaly lethal
6: Are you guys gonna gang up on me and sink me into the submarine canyons of LJ? (please don't answer honestly as I like to sleep at night)
Do you really want the answer?
7: Is there a VHF channel you guys frequent as Kayak fisherman for info, chat, etc?
Not really, less people carry radios than you would expect, but 68-70 I believe are the rec vessel channels

Ed Aka. el pescator
Hope that helps
Old 08-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Hey Ed welcome.

Safety first. I'd suggest that you stick to the bays until you are comfortable moving out. Learn how easy it is to flip it before you find out in open water. Wear your PFD.

Second thing is leash/strap everything down that you want to keep.

After that just talk to others on the water and have fun.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
el pescator

Thank you Drake! You are an "awesome member",

All of that info was great! Especially the advice on launching. I'm really stoked on the sport and have a feeling I'll be seeing you and other BWE and team lollipop members on the water...
Old 08-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
MrPatrick

There may be a small group going to tidelands Friday. If it does pan out, I'll do all I can that day to get you comfortable in the yak and on some fish. I can even supply most if not all of your fishing gear for the day. I will want it back though.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
el pescator

Thank you Alan! good advice... That was my plan. I feel like I might be more comfortable in the surf as opposed to around boats that may not see me but until I get the hang of it its probably a better idea...
Old 08-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
buddha

Great deal on the trident.

I just bought a trident 11 Angler version a few weeks ago.

I have been kayaking for about 12 years starting with a scupper pro back in 2001.

I will be fishing this weekend in Chula Vista if you want to come down.

I will target bonefish if I can get some ghost shrimp.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
el pescator

Bonefish in SD..Mind blowing... Nice to be a part of it all! Goodnight all...
Old 08-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
Deamon

Flipping can be a real bummer. Leash stuff down unless you have the cash to replace whatever gets lost. Be sure you're not one who will panic in a tough spot. All of us yakkers love to paddle over and bitch slap crying men thrashing about in the water. In fact, I don't even take my rods out anymore. I just wait to hear some sorry arse crying like a little girl flailing in the water and I paddle over to slap the shit out of them...word. Make sure you can climb back on. Having help nearby reduces risk...but then you'll have to share your honey holes with someone and trust me, we are all saving waypoints as we go by your spot... Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote