Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #41
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie-Pedaller View Post
well, i suspect the odds of THAT COMBINATION happening, are somewhere along the lines of getting struck by lightning, or similar extremely unlikely occurrences.

in 10 yrs of yakking, and knowing there are thousands of mirage drives in use, and following every yak fishing website in existence over that 10 yrs.... i've have heard of a grand total of ONE mirage drive breaking. (posted just in past few months on this website.)

so i don't think that is really much of a significant concern.

AND IF A MIRAGE DRIVE DOES BREAK, THEN ANY PRUDENT YAKKER COULD THEN EASILY FOCUS ON MAKING SURE TO HOLD ON TO PADDLE SECURELY, AND NOT DOING ANYTHING RISKY, SUCH AS MANY OF THE THINGS POSTED EARLIER IN THIS THREAD, TO RISK GOING OVERBOARD, OR LOSING PADDLE, ETC.

i would worry more about being struck by lightning, or getting eaten by a shark, than worry about the odds of having BOTH my mirage drive break, AND then ALSO subsequently losing my paddle after that, when knowing i did not have a working mirage drive available.
well i'm glad that you follow EVERY kayak board because i know of 3 that broke just this year, and one that broke twice here in florida. shit mine broke and i had to paddle in. they aren't all reported but the three i mention were.

Zac, Zfish, lost his drive then the damn hobie paddle BROKE!

I've spear fished in shark infested waters with hammers and bulls in sight, waded in chest deep water at night with bulls around, fished through a dozen or more lightning storms this year and the only unfortunate thing to happen was the mirage drive broke.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:30 AM   #42
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
well i'm glad that you follow EVERY kayak board because i know of 3 that broke just this year, and one that broke twice here in florida. shit mine broke and i had to paddle in. they aren't all reported but the three i mention were.

Zac, Zfish, lost his drive then the damn hobie paddle BROKE!

I've spear fished in shark infested waters with hammers and bulls in sight, waded in chest deep water at night with bulls around, fished through a dozen or more lightning storms this year and the only unfortunate thing to happen was the mirage drive broke.
I'm pretty new to this game, but I've seen stuff happen already. On the recent Islander trip, at least 1 Mirage drive I know of broke. Another person I know, recently broke the rudder pin on his outback. The Hobie's are great, but not indestructible. With the miles and abuse people put on these kayaks, I'm surprised we don't hear about more of these breakdowns. I have the big Oasis tandem, and I usually only bring 1 paddle.. but if (when) something like this busts, I'm sure I'll be cussing a lot on my way back in.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #43
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Somethings i observed,

you don't have upper body strength, you drink to much beer, and never every listen to a polish double dog dare.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #44
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
the old polish double-dog dare again???
nice to know...

get a bag with mirage drive parts and repair tools... they do need fixing....
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #45
TJones

couple mistakes made

(1) never ever remove you'r vest while wearing waders ( unless urinating ) . (2) always wear a belt . if you had been wearing a belt the likely hood of the waders slipping down and reducing you'r leg movement would be reduced , let alone reducing the water intake . and if you were wearing the pfd and the waders filled up , becoming submerged is unlikely . also doing a recovery on open water alone is something that should be practiced . more than likely this is a recent video and the outcome could have been different if alone in winter conditions , in rough water and body temperature dropping rapidly . i love you jorge . nice work on the camera .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #46
TJones

i don't know jack

but like mentioned above . swim on you'r back .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg military-swimming-kit.jpg (13.8 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by TJones; 08-12-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: typo ( whats new )
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote