Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
TJones

hobie tank repairs

yesterday i had two serious fails . first i filled the tank with macs , and while they were slashing around to the brims capacity, broke my connection where i had by passed my failed switch. i notice the the macs were getting sleepy eyed and quiet. . so i release them , did a temporary fix , and back in business. at end of day when i went to unplug battery , pulled wire out of socket. is it time to rewire the tank? tank is more than a couple years old. any input would be appreciated. having the bait tank is great , but it always seems like something is always going wrong .first switch , thens its batteries , then clogs with pump. now wiring issues . . as far as clogs with intake and sea grass, i did discover something pretty good. i bought a screen from home depot that has rubber on edges , i believe used for sink replacement . i trimmed the rubber a little , and placed behind black nipple of intake tube. it does make it more restrictive , but not enough to hinder flow. keeps grass out. one problem solved, for now. thanks again for any suggestions or help with wire issues. when i trimmed back wire to reconnect , i noticed it looks corroded under insulation and some what brittle. is that normal?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
jaws197

Had the same problem with my hobie tank at the switch, had to scrape off the clear insulation and re-solder the corroded terminal switch had failed then marine gooped the heck out of it.

I'm going to try your suggestion about the intake as I am tired of it sucking up EVERY piece of eel grass in the ocean!!! You would think that a tank that cost $200 would be made a little better with a little more thought about it's potential for pulling in foreign material (eel grass)!
jaws197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
TJones

look for small package

there will be 2 screen replacements .about the size of a penny. i trimmed almost all the rubber on edges of screen and gently pressed it into the intake tube after removing the black nipple. replace black nipple and you are done. after a few launching and landings some sand will collect on screen, but not enough to stop flow . a few good pumps with peddles to get flow going to prime the tank is all that is needed. gallons per minute flow rate is reduced , but nothing that affects bait. one thing is for sure . grass is not going up inside. . been using for about 4 outings . so far , so good.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
DanaPT

I've been using a drain plug screen for sinks. These are also sold in pairs. The Nylon type work best. Simply put it on like a condom and zip tie the top. Because of the screen it's difficult to plug the in-take tube. IF something does get caught, moving around usually dislodges the debris..

Used to get clogged in the kelp until I began using this solution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-01-06_12-08-31_576.jpg (60.7 KB, 196 views)
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
I've been using a drain plug screen for sinks. These are also sold in pairs. The Nylon type work best. Simply put it on like a condom and zip tie the top. Because of the screen it's difficult to plug the in-take tube. IF something does get caught, moving around usually dislodges the debris..

Awesome idea...is that found at Home Depot? Does it restrict flow a bunch?
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
StinkyMatt

About a year ago I got tired of the connections and switch issues. Completely eliminated the switch and rewired the tank. At the battery I use a red/white connector like the ones found at automotive stores for .99 cents. When you make a wire to wire connection put on shrink tubing And then goop it all over. When you are ready to turn on tank, you turn around and plug in, simple.

I have not had one tank related issue in a year.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
About a year ago I got tired of the connections and switch issues. Completely eliminated the switch and rewired the tank. At the battery I use a red/white connector like the ones found at automotive stores for .99 cents. When you make a wire to wire connection put on shrink tubing And then goop it all over. When you are ready to turn on tank, you turn around and plug in, simple.

I have not had one tank related issue in a year.
So no on/off switch at all?
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
TJones

thx matt

i did same . ditched the switch. i used cheap barrel connection and that is why it popped off. along with the fact i had about 30 ragging macs slashing around. . dogs were really all over my ass at lj squid grounds yesterday. if i went to deeper water i wanted to be prepared. i will try your idea and run new wire. thx.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
TJones

got the new wire installed

put a screw on wire connector like the stock one . also some marine goop. the mistake i made when i bypassed the switch was , i used a barrel connector. this time i used some metal staples to secure wires together to alleviate some stress, along with some additional wire ties. tested it out, and we are ready to go. i also bought i new dip tube from the local pet supply store . i cut it to about 14 " . 4 - 5 " deep into kayak and about 9 '" height inside tank . this will give me good support into kayak to prevent tank from moving and a nice high water level to support 30 ragging macs slashing about in tank. thx everyone for help and suggestions.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #10
maui jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
I've been using a drain plug screen for sinks. These are also sold in pairs. The Nylon type work best. Simply put it on like a condom and zip tie the top.

I Never used a zip tie on a condom... Strange comparison....
Old 01-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
jorluivil

I followed what Matt did and went straight battery to pump. Unlike Matt, the thing that I don't like about it is the 'reach around'.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #12
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
Awesome idea...is that found at Home Depot?

????

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #13
Drake

I've been through 5 switches on my tank in 4 months, same problem over and over. Granted I fish 3-4 days a week minimum so it see's a lot of abuse.

Corrosion and snapping at the wire to the switch connection. It's been under warranty and the shop kept assuring me it they would fix it.

Finally, I just asked for the switch and I would take care of it myself. I covered the switch where the wires connect with so much marine goop and I haven't had an issue as of yet.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #14
TJones

after the first switch

i bypassed it, and hooked up that barrel connector to make straight connection, without using marine goop. lasted a good while, until i over crammed the tank with 30 ragging macs. my stock hobie switch was pretty good , it was coated with red latex? to try and prevent failure. the switch failed somewhere inside , i believe. unlike some users on this site , i like the occasional reach around . bypassing sucks ess. but it is one less thing to worry about . after all the bucks i spent , i did not want to spend another 30 for a switch from west marine. thanks again for any input .