Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
PapaDave

Newport questions..

Okay, a freind and I are going to head out of Newport Harbor this Saturday. We have not fished this area before. Will anyone give us a general idea of where to go? I know that to the south there are kelp beds and therefore bass, and somewhere out the harbor lies a T'shark area. Where can one make bait? How far out and in what direction would the T's be? Is there anything north of the harbor worth looking into?

Thanks, Dave
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDCh View Post
Okay, a freind and I are going to head out of Newport Harbor this Saturday. We have not fished this area before. Will anyone give us a general idea of where to go? I know that to the south there are kelp beds and therefore bass, and somewhere out the harbor lies a T'shark area. Where can one make bait? How far out and in what direction would the T's be? Is there anything north of the harbor worth looking into?

Thanks, Dave
Hey P,
I have only been out there one time with the gang, there is a bait barge
right close if you launch from the CG station, really nice there, we were targeting Ts, out the mouth and out into 100 150 feet and south then hit the kelp approx 2 miles up, I have been told to plan for the tide and winds that pick up in the afternoon so figure that into your plans, but ask Matt or Jorge as I believe they have been frequenting that area, what are you tired of DP...I can't wait to get back there...good luck out there I am staying up north this weekend...too much traffic
Old 05-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
PapaDave

Thanks for the info, wish us luck. Tired of DP? No sir, just expanding the experience. I am looking to go down to LJ more this year too. DP will always be 'home', but my horizons will grow.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
Bennyblanco
Ironman

Hey papa, depends what your aiming for if you want some calicos and maybe a halibut stay in the bay., if you want some rock fish/vermillions go north as far as you can while towing a rapala or weighted mackeral and drift back in the 190/210 depth about a mile out . Always maintain that mackerel free line or with a little bit of weight just incase those t's come by.good luck see ya out there some day.
Bennyblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
mtnbykr2

Go get em, good luck and be safe...
Old 05-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
wbrewski

NP

If it is a nice day get bait and head out gf harbor and go left to the kelp or just fish around the bait barge or anywhere in harbor by Coast Guard station .
Old 05-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
MVC

I live about 20 minutes from Newport so I fish there alot. It you are looking for TSharks just head straight out of the harbor past the marker in about 100 feet of water and troll south parallel to the shore. There is good spottie fishing near the moored boats in the habor. If you head south of the harbor you will find boiler rocks and kelp. I have caught calicos and halibut there. I would go with you but my wife and I have our grandkids this Saturday. I might fish there on Monday.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDCh View Post

Thanks, Dave
Fish for bait around the North Jetty - The bait god has always been good to me there. As far as T's...head somewhat north of the Jetty and drift south...Usually around 190ft - always worked for me.

I would be extremely cautious out there this weekend. Being the holiday weekend, there are going to be a ton of PB's out there. I've been damn near run over and have been with friends who have been flipped by boaters wakes. Lots of big boats going in and out harbor.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
wbrewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooUSMA View Post
Fish for bait around the North Jetty - The bait god has always been good to me there. As far as T's...head somewhat north of the Jetty and drift south...Usually around 190ft - always worked for me.

I would be extremely cautious out there this weekend. Being the holiday weekend, there are going to be a ton of PB's out there. I've been damn near run over and have been with friends who have been flipped by boaters wakes. Lots of big boats going in and out harbor.
Amen, I have almost been run down in the harbor by a bunch of drunk girls in dads big power boat, watch out all weekend. I only fish it on weekdays.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
CheapPelican

I figure there will be a lot of traffic in the harbor and through & around the jetty, but what's the PB traffic like around kelp/boilers?
CheapPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
WahooUSMA

Its not that the PB's buzz you around the kelp, its their damn wakes on a holiday weekend that are non stop and large. Boat traffic usually stay's off shore at a relatively safe distance near the boilers and kelp, but the amount of traffic, not to mention weather conditions, that cause the swells to become very confused, large, and dangerous.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
PapaDave

Thank you all for the help. We decided to postpone the trip due to the combination of weather and holiday boat traffic. We were looking forward to trying the area out, bummer. We will get there though. Maybe the next weekend after this one.