Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

Fresh To Death!

I thought I had it all planned out. The weather-man, or my poor choice in weather sources, was originally calling for the, "first, Winter-blast to hit this weekend!" Then, zip boom pow---it was freaking beautiful on Saturday and Sunday! Who knew? Apparently, the storm isn't going to make it here for another day or so. While I'm not looking forward to the wind and rain, this strong weather system could help the conditions. At least push this junk water around a bit. It could be a good thing. Well, that's the optimist in me anyway.

That awful red-tide was in full effect over the weekend. There's miles and miles of rust colored water with a streak of clean in between at times. I slept in and launched late on both days. Bait was fairly easy to make. There were four kayak anglers spread out over miles of otherwise, empty, Coastline. Just four kayaks and miles and miles of chocolate milk!

In the distance I could see a landing strip of clean water. I'm not talking about a mile of clean water, I'm talking about a landing strip at best. I put out a bait as soon as I slid into the clean green, nutrient rich, water. This was short lived, though. I had, roughly, thirty minutes in clean conditions before the Hershey highway took it's claim. I stood up on the Pro Angler looking for cleaner conditions in the distance, but that was that---miles of filthy water were sitting up current and heading my way. What can you do, right? The highlight on this Sunday afternoon was the fact that it was sheet glass, calm as can be, with very little swell to contend with.

It would be lights out for a while with rust 'o plenty, so I changed gears. I'm not one to fight the Ocean, so, Halibut would be the target for the next few hours. I had a couple of nice drifts, but I just wasn't feeling it. The typical rock-fish and Calico by catch, but not the right signs I was looking for. About this time, I saw another landing strip start to come into view. It was still a long way off, but headed my way. I pushed outside to greet it and noticed a flashing, neon, sign before I even made it to the scene.

I didn't hesitate. I put out a fresh bait and, WHAM---through the Lobster pots I go! If the bull-kelp isn't enough, weave through a few Lobster pots to add a couple levels of difficulty, too. You know, put some hair on your chest! It wasn't looking good for a while there, I tell you. A brutal, heated battle ensued, with the lead changing hands a couple of times. In the end, the spectra did it's job and my prize came to gaff without incident.

The Yellowtail have a nice, parachute if you will, in the form of a couple hundred commercial pots. I say, good for them.

I also hooked two Yellowtail on the surface-iron this afternoon (Monday). Don't worry, they're still swimming! It wasn't as pretty out there today, with wind and plenty of mixed swell to keep you on your toes. I saw two kayaks. Two of which, were the same anglers I saw yesterday. Now that's hardcore! I'm not exactly sure how seeing a Yellowtail caught on Sunday (pictured) or hearing about my two fish, today, will help you, but at least we know this: there's one less Yellowtail around!