Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
bigbarrels

Intersection Syndrome (tendonitis)

Anybody else every get Intersection Syndrome from paddling? I knew I had tendonitis but have never heard of intersection syndrome ( only De Quervain's Tenosynovitis). After 6 months of not paddling and then going out for a PM shift with lots of wind I developed some tendonitis which improved after two days. Then went out again 4 days later and it flared up midway through the day about three finger widths above the watch on the thumb side (dorsolateral side of wrist) to the point that reeling in bait hurt...

Basically it is tendonitis that is common in paddlers of the tendons that control your extension and abduction of your thumb and some of the extension at the wrist and due to the repetitive nature of paddling

After doing more research I found out and realized that my grip was way too tight and I wasn't holding my wrist in a neutral polsition throughout my stroke. So lesson learned Thankfully I work in an ER and have acess to wrist splinting and colleagues who can prescribe meds and after taking some prednisone last night the pain and crepitance (squeking and crackling upon movement) disappeared....now just going to keep the splint on and continue the meds and go for a test run at La Jolla Monday and hopefully Tues if tendonitis doesn't return (usually need to rest it for 4-6 weeks but a WSB has my name on it out there and a little test run never hurts)

Anybody else ever have this problem? If not, make sure you are paddling with a loose grip and your wrist in a neutral position to prevent this problem...

if it continues I will be buying a Hobie sooner than expected
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote