Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
deepdvr

There's always freshwater

Decided to play hooky on Friday and took the yak out to Miramar in search of some tailwalkers. I got to the lake around 9:30 and it was coming down hard, but I timed it pretty well and only dealt with some light rain for the first 30 minutes. The lake was predictably quiet. I wanted to keep it sporting so I avoided powerbait and crawlers. I rigged up one rod with a gold panther martin spinner and the other with a red/gold thomas buoyant spoon. I would have used minijigs, but when the water is stained I don't think they work very well.

Got a quick limit in a little under 2 hours and I farmed alot of fish. Oddly enough, all the fish I landed came off the spinner when I was slow trolling it 'La Jolla' style. I had hits and a few become unbuttoned while fan casting but the slow-troll was the way to go. These are fun fish on ultra-light tackle. They are very acrobatic and will fight all the way in. Biggest one was a little over 3 pounds. It was very skinny and actually looked spawned out or starved. I've caught others that were the same size and they weighed 4 or 5 pounds. I called it quits around noon. Got some more lobster bait now. Everytime I've tried to eat these stocked fish...I've been sorry I tried.

deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote