Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2005, 06:49 AM   #1
madscientist

LJ 8/23 PM

Launched around 5:15 into the first real surf in a while. Must be rusty because I ate one, eyebrows were wet and everything. Beautiful conditions witha slight SSW breeze, almost glassy. Ken on the radio said bait was tough but I got lucky with some spanish under a big ball of smelt. Current was RIPPING downhill. Kelp pinned down to 20ft under the surface. Troll out over the kelp since there is no fear of tangle. Stop to talk to Ken on the radio when I hear a splash and turn to see a boil on my top bait. Sign off and grab the rod. Something happening but the clicker isn't going off. Bring it tight, feel some weight, and decide now or never and swing hard. Something on. First thought I'd just set the hook on some kelp, but then remembered the conditions and the boil. Start cranking and the fish is coming to the boat without too much effort. Now I'm thinking WSB. Then it takes off and away we go. Not sure if this yello is going to be able to get in the pinned down kelp but sure enough, after a good sleigh ride, Ifeel the dreaded friction. Get vertical and its wrapped, but I still feel the fish. Tried something new, backed off a little, and let the current start to pull me south. I start to feel the kelp slipping and with steady pressure we slowly slide out, a few cranks at a time. Once free, it was all over but the coup de grace.

No other action but a very pleasant evening on the water. Paddled in with my photo biyatch and lucky charm. He seems to talk me into a lot of fish.

Spoke with Charlie and Johnny T on the beach, good to see both.

Ken, here's a pic of vicious little lizard I sabiki'd last weekend. I know how much you like them
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote