Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
PAL

AK kayak fishing - no monsters, but ICE

I'm just back from an amazing trip up to Alaska. Although I've posted about it a few other places, some of these photos are so unusual I wanted to share them here. I know I enjoy a look anyone's exotic kayak fishing adventure; I hope you'll find these photos from my trip of a lifetime interesting.

I fished out of Seward Alaska with Chris Mautino of Liquid Adventures, one of the 4 guys from OK who matched up with salmon sharks last year.

We hit up Resurrection Bay for silver salmon, a great fish from the 'yak, as they are speedy aerialists. Next we moved on to Kenai Fjords Natl Park, chiefly to target large lingcod, but also to chill out. The ice photos were taken at Pedersen Glacier. Sea kayakers hit this spot frequently, but its a good bet that this is the first time fish'yaks have plied the ice. It was amazing in there - and cold!

Tally was 2 silvers, some pinks C&R'ed, lots of rockfish including a series of cookie-cutter 7 lb'ers, and lings up to the mid 20-lb range. We had bigger lings on but couldn't get them to the 'yak.

If you like these photos, look for future coverage in Canoe and Kayak magazine.

Alaska travel is expensive (how's a $300+ 40 mile round-trip water taxi fee grab you?), but extremely rewarding. Just amazingly beautiful and bursting with marine life. A great place to paddle and fish.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote