Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-17-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

More Kings and Butts!! Alaska report

Following report for Nickc5 and Greyzone who I know are making their way up to Alaska. I know of many looking at fishing Alaska, it has gotten out of hand in terms of the King Salmon closures and crazy halibut charters rule. If you just read the normal publications, you;d think it wasn't worth fishing up here anymore. Sort of true...unless you are a kayak angler!

So I have been on a little streak here. Starting last September, I have managed a king every month off my kayak which is pretty cool. Well yesterday, I managed my May king which makes it 9 consecutive months in a row.

But more for Nick and Greyzone, the halibut fishing appears to be heating up. The larger fish are still working their way into the shore but the chickens are out in full force. Yesterday, we entered a derby. Wimp powerboats couldn't launch even though kayaks could. They delayed the start so it gave us kayakers two hours of "free time". Managed maybe 6 halibut in that hour. All small with the biggest 15 pounds but they would chase bait to the surface and ht our trolled salmon gear. Should be good if this continues.

So between three kayakers we landed two limits of halibut, two kings, and a sea run dolly. The other kayaker made the mistake of catching his king first so and he didn't want to go a mile offshore to fish halibut. The other king was actually caught off a hybrid SUP which was pretty cool.

Another kayaking buddy came down as we were taking out and he managed 4 kings n one hour keeping two (he has a proxy). So the fishing is hot hot hot!!! Kings will die off in June or get shut down to protect the spawners. But the butt fishing should only get better!

Hey Grey Zone, Nick might be a tad late but you should be able to catch the tail end of this king run. If it stays like this, you HAVE to try it! Otherwise we'll get ya both out for the butts.

https://youtu.be/x-7FprZgk10
Kardinal_84 is offline   Reply With Quote