Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
5-20

Malibu Yak Questions and BTB Gear for WSB/Tuna

Y'all I'm still relatively new to san diego, and I've never had the ocean mere minutes instead of hours away. I used to have a yak, a heritage redfish 12 that I used for freshwater fishing and "took" BTB once out in the Gulf of Mexico. I say "took" because I didn't paddle or stay out there very long. I didn't like the yak very much and sold it after a year and a half or so. However, one of my friends, Eric, took me out in San Diego bay recently. He let me use his Stealth 12 and wow, I couldn't believe how much better that yak felt in all of those different ways than the RF12 I had used to.

So, if you could bear with me while I list a bunch of questions that'd really help me get started on BTB fishing, that'd be awesome!

Yeah, I'm totally ready to start chasing some of those huge fish that live around those kelp beds!!!! I'm thinking I'd really like to get a Stealth 12, 14 or a X-Factor. Yes, I've read a ton about the leaking problems that's very common with those yaks.... and I'm pretty worried about getting one of those lemons, but still, those yaks are pretty awesome in a lot of other ways.

I've been scanning CL, trying to find a lightly used Stealth 14 or X-Factor and I came across a store in Newport Beach that has made a bunch of those posts that list "NEW" Malibu yaks at like close to 50% off. An example of one of those ads:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/4412921178.html

I called and asked about those yaks and got a very confrontative and rude person on the other line. When I asked how they were able to sell those yaks so cheap, he basically got really defensive and argumentative and never answered my question and basically said in a very challenging way "why are you asking???". I then asked if they were blems or anything like that and then he first said no, no, then said something like yeah... yeah... and then just hung up on me abruptly.

Not sure what the deal is with those guys or that shop. I'd love to buy a new stealth 12 or 14 at that price instead of the more typical $1,300 I understand they're usually listed for but I really don't wanna deal with those guys unless it was just some type of big misunderstanding..........

Any thoughts or suggestions about this would be good. I am gonna check OEX kayaks out at MB too for sure.

Okay!!! Next question's about gear. I'd like to get at least one "stout" rod and reel that i can use for WSB and Tuna and Sharks. The heaviest gear I have right now is basically a couple of Curado 300e's on swimbait rods and I'll probably use one of those setups for calicos, but I'd like something heavier that'd be a good start to my dedicated saltwater arsenal.

I'm thinking I'd like to pick up a Daiwa Sealine SL30SH which seems like it'd be a pretty good reel that can withstand the abuse it'd go through being on a yak. As much as I'd like to get a seeker or calstar, for now, I'm thinking an Ugly Stik Tiger would do the job pretty well. I picked up the 7' medium action rod in a store and it felt pretty "soft". I haven't handled the 7' MH model yet but I'm thinking it'd be a better choice?

Any suggestions about gear I may want to consider for any type of BTB fishing I'm likely to do around those kelp beds would be really welcome. Right now, I really like throwing lures. I'm not so much a live bait fisherman but I will probably get into that soon so I'd really like something I can throw jigs on that'd also handle live bait if needed and then later on start to get a bit more specialized gear.

Curious, would I even want to consider going with the Sealine 20 or is the 30 the right sized reel for what I want to use it for?

Thanks for all of the suggestions/advice. I'm really looking forward to meeting and fishing with you guys sometime!!!

I also got into surfing, so if that's something any of you do, holla about that anytime too!!!

5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote