Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2014, 05:00 AM   #1
philr21

Last fish of 2013, First of 2014, South Korea

Had to fly back to the parents due to their house burning down. Helped them about as much as we could. Just returned a couple weeks ago to Korea, took the kayak out for a spin.

The currents here are really strong, with the huge tidal swings making it very difficult to kayak many places. Almost anyplace that one would normally fish, has large tidal swings and strong currents.

I was doing OK on the second day until I got caught in a rip current on a tip of an island where two currents met, and confused seas. I had started drifting back the opposite direction, so setup to make the drift back. In reality I was just in an eddy, and just put myself in a bad position I couldn't hardly get out of.

Had to paddle AND pedal further offshore to get into some slower current. It sucked. I was watching my path on the GPS, and going as hard as I could into the current to get back where I needed to go, was still losing ground and into rougher seas. Was wearing my life jacket but didn't want to tip in the 54 degree water as I'd have had a hard time getting back in with the seas. Knees were shaking, things went from good to bad really quickly.

All worked out OK, but it took me well over an hour to make the two mile trip back to the marina headed into the current. I'd get turbo fins for the Outback, but it's the old, old model with the version 1 Hobie drive.

Anyway, didn't get skunked either day, here's the pics. Researching some new areas with less current, and going to rig an anchor trolley as well I think.
Attached Images

philr21 is offline   Reply With Quote