Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
el pescator

Im the new guy

Hi all!
Well the title says it all. I"m an avid fisherman and after careful thought and a bit of destiny I have found myself in your great company! I have been in the market for a center console lately and because of expense haven't been able to pull the trigger on a desired toy. While driving through the neighborhood the other day a kayak caught my eye. A trident 11 with a Mark 4, KFS Ultimate bait tank, anchor and adjustable pulley system, nice PFD, 6 rod holders, waterproof battery boxes, new bungees and an adjustable carbon fiber paddle for $700... After a not so lengthily conversation with my gal the decision to buy was reached fairly quickly after a nice lunch and a couple Ballast Point Victory at Sea's! I know that all you guys need is another guy crowding the fishing grounds but I actually have respect and a conscience. I don't want to be that guy... I am looking forward to getting into this sport with all of you and hope you'd be able to help me out with a little info. Of course I'm ready to pay my do's but I do have a couple question that would help me feel a bit more comfortable if answered. Please note, without spitting on your laptop in disgust, that you should know that I've never used a kayak. I know...... I have been surfing for 27 years and fish the sport boats often. I am very comfortable in the water and live in Point Loma... Anyhoo, here are a few questions...

1: Where is a good place to launch in SDbay?
2: As an avid fisherman I naturally want to fish for WSB and YT in LJ but should I stick to the bay while I get a hang of things on a kayak?
3: Is there a safety course someone could recommend before I head out to the Kelp Beds?
4: When is the best time to fish a kayak? Is wind a major factor?
5: Should I stick to artificials as I learn the ropes or go straight to making bait?
6: Are you guys gonna gang up on me and sink me into the submarine canyons of LJ? (please don't answer honestly as I like to sleep at night)
7: Is there a VHF channel you guys frequent as Kayak fisherman for info, chat, etc?
I can tell by reading the most recent posts that this is a pretty tight nit group of serious and dedicated fisherman. Also seems to me to be a great group of guys and sense of community. I share the same love for the sport and have a few tricks of my own I'd like to share. With the utmost respect I'd like to formally say thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer and you can be assured that I will be a respectful and eager member of this community. May you all have tight lines and good fortune!

Ed Aka. el pescator
el pescator is offline   Reply With Quote