Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
salty pirate

chased out of lj

What up bwe, hit the water at 5am to small surf. Made quick work of filling the tank with fin bait. I hung around the condos for a while and got a few cudas. Decided to keep moving as bait was everywhere and I was tired playing with the slimeturds. Kept trolling and throwing at the boils and kept getting more slimeturds. Saw some birds diving out in deeper water so off I went. Btw the water is super blue. Anyway I did not get anything so I took a snack break and tried trolling the deeper water (about 130ft). After a while I saw a big mark on the ff and thought what the heck was that. Well I found out a few minutes later. I looked back to check the line and saw two dolphins coming in close behind me, then I realize that in fact those two fins were part of one huge f-ing shark (mako). This thing was at least 12ft. It would come within inch's of my kayak (pa 12) and was the same size or bigger. At this point I thinking 1. what a cool way to kick off shark week 2. why did I eat those pot brownies 3. I am all alone out here 4. the closest boat is at least 2 miles away. 5. If this f-er wants to he could easily knock me out of the yak and have me for lunch. So I grasped my knife in one hand and head towards the kayak (sorry) I could see off in distance. Well it took a good half hour to get there cause I would have to stop peddling and tuck my fins under the yak. The shark would sneak up behind me fins out of the water and disappear, then come from the side and look at me, it even splashed me with it's tail. Finally it got board with me and left. Needless to say it was time to go in! I have encountered curious sharks before but not this big and not for such a long period of time. I truly felt I was in danger.

I know this subject has come up before but what do you do when you encounter sharks like this and what kind of protection do you (if any) carry? Please only list things that are legal to have! Feel free to share your sharky experience. I know it is probably the sign of a healthy fishery but damn.

Eli
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote