Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
ful-rac
Emperor

Yet another damn irvine trout report

Tough fishing today...was a bit rougher than it was last week, at least I perceived it to be. Started the day with cloudy dark skies, cool but not cold temperatures. I expected high pressure and traffic today with the christmas tournament and all but ended up with surprisingly, pretty light pressure. I had high hopes of good quick limit fishing but didn't get that at all. Peddled out right at dawn, and had my first hook up at 8:30....not a big one but an early bite, hopefully it was a sign of things to come....then it seemed like hour, after hour of endless trolling, switching lures....downrigger up...down....checking...rechecking lures. Finally a second bite...wham! the downrigger rod gets hit...! Hmm this one feels good! Here she is, it's decent! Ok reach for the net....one shake of it's head and it's off....crap! Ok...back to punishment...I picked one off here and there, every hour or every other hour from then on. Seemed like they prefered the downrigger this week. Out of 8 hookups I got during the day, 6 were on the downrigger. So I ended the day with limits of trout again...but it was a hell of alot of work, and my knees are killing me...again...

Since I don't have much experience running my own downrigger, last week while using it I had noticed a loud humming noise while running it, so loud that, the whole Pa would vibrate. Apparently this is normal, so not knowing if this is a good thing or a bad thing I replaced the downrigger cable with 135lb spectra. No more humming noise. There is still a tiny bit of vibration, but now it's hardly noticeable.

The lures that always get bit..for some reason didn't work for me this week, the owner mira shads, rapalas..little norman cranks....just could not buy a bite. I finally found a little magic lure in my tackle box that I never have luck with...the Thomas bouyant. This little sucker saved the day for me, landed 4 out of 5 fish I kept on this sucker, all on the lure that doesn't work....at least for me anyways...

I think I had my fill of trout for now...it's time to catch a toad halibut or something...