Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
Jim Sammons LJKF

Take a look at this crap

Laguna Beach Calls For 7-Mile No-Fishing Zone off City

7/10/2009 7:23 AM
Last updated: 7/10/2009 7:23 AM

Laguna Beach City Council members voted 4-1 (with Mayor Kelly Boyd dissenting) to ask the California Department of Fish and Game for a ban on all fishing — commercial and recreational — along the entire 7-mile-long Laguna Beach coastline extending 3 miles offshore, during their June 16 meeting.

Photo by: yachtphotography.com

While the city has no authority to enact such a ban itself, council members who supported the measure hoped to make an impact on the ongoing Marine Life Protection Act discussions, in which a variety of Marine Protected Areas closed to fishing are being proposed along the Orange County coast. None of the alternatives being considered, however, would close as much of the Laguna coast as the proposal put forward by the city council.

“Let the ocean lay fallow,” Councilmember Toni Iseman, author of the measure, told those at the council meeting. “I’m asking for a time out.”

More than 50 people spoke about the proposal during more than two hours of discussion — including sport anglers, commercial fishermen, surfers, divers and environmental advocates.

One woman drew gasps when she brought in two dead Garabaldi she claimed were illegally speared by a diver as “evidence” of fishing abuses in Laguna Beach. Fishermen in attendance surprised her with information that possession of those fish was illegal.

While some of the speakers at the meeting cited the fact that no studies show recreational fishing is having a negative impact on local fish populations, others claimed that a closure would only increase fish populations — and that it could be a temporary measure, if experts so decided.

“I haven’t seen any of the science,” admitted Councilmember Elizabeth Pearson. “All we know is what opinions are. I don’t know if we’re overfished. I don’t know that we need replenishment. But I do know this: I’ve seen some disgusting things happening at Shaw’s Cove (a popular diving area) over the last 20 years. There’s been abuse after abuse ... so this is our last chance to do something.”

Mayor Kelly Boyd, a sport angler, strongly protested the move, and told council members that the closure was largely unenforceable, even if it were to be approved by the state. “We’re not looking at the overall picture: Who in the hell is going to enforce this?” Boyd asked.
“With the state $24 billion in debt and Laguna $800,000 in debt, we’re going to enforce this? I don’t think so.”
Following the council vote, Boyd began organizing an e-mail campaign, and has asked residents and all Southern California anglers to tell council members how they feel about the closure resolution. E-mails can be sent to Boyd at kellyboyd2006@ gmail.com, Jane Egly at jhegly@aol.com, Toni Iseman at tiseman2@aol.com, Elizabeth Pearson at elizabethpearson2@cox.net and Verna Rollinger at vernarollinger@cox.net.

JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote