Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
skiptomyzoo

Tall anglers: What kayaks did you choose?

I am sure this has been posted before but I would like some personal experience/opinions on such aka what you run

I am 6'5" w a 34" seam.

I was looking at the jacksons if paddle (big rig when it comes out) and hobies if peddle but am open to other makes and models.

My issue w the hobies is some of the ones I test fit on the drive couldn't go forward enough and the guy there said all the hulls were the same in terms of leg room (I don't believe that, the PA felt much larger, hopefully someone is more knowledgeable)

I haven't had a chance to look at many of the models as where I am leaving (Ohio) has a few brands but obviously isn't as large a market.

Just let me know your opinions/what works for you.

Thanks
skiptomyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

I'm 6'5 with really long legs, and the hobie outback is just fine for me. I have no leg room in any car, airplanes are the worst, but the outback doesn't give me problems. The peddles are adjustable, and I do have to use it on the longest setting, but it is plenty comfortable. Hope this helps.
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

X factor and PA. there's lots of yaks that fit us
Old 10-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
easyday

6'2 - x factor with plenty of room
Old 10-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Malibu stealth would also be no problem, there's plenty of leg room.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #6
skiptomyzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smthtnnr View Post
I'm 6'5 with really long legs, and the hobie outback is just fine for me. I have no leg room in any car, airplanes are the worst, but the outback doesn't give me problems. The peddles are adjustable, and I do have to use it on the longest setting, but it is plenty comfortable. Hope this helps.
That does help. Thank you. Guessing it is better to take a more stable kayak over the speedier Revo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
X factor and PA. there's lots of yaks that fit us
The PA only concern was self loading ontop of my car. In the store they certainly didn't look light and their width makes me guess not easiest to handle either when lifting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
6'2 - x factor with plenty of room
I still need to look into the Malibu's they don't have any around me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Malibu stealth would also be no problem, there's plenty of leg room.
How is the X factor in terms of letting water in? Know quite a few of you said the stealth does. I expect to get wet (it is kayaking) just don't need to be soaked.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

you should also look at the trident 15.

X-factor slow, tank and super stable.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
jruiz
Large Member

At 5'8" I'm the tallest of my Asian friends. My outback suits me well
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
easyday

I really dont have any problem with water in the x factor. If its a really rough day out and im taking waves over the front I will get a little but but nothing I could even pump out.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

Yeah the outback seems like the right call. It is super stable and plenty fast with turbo fins, and I can load it on my Pontiac G6 (small) no problem
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
easyday

If you want fast and still want to paddle tarpon 160 but the outback is an awesome call.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Im 6'4 300# and ive owned numerous kayaks. My xfactor was a very wet ride and I found that my center hatch at slightly under water dripping into my hull constantly. So far my pa14 is the only kayak ive been truly comfortable on

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

6'6" amd 245. plenty of room in the PA and its super easy to load on the roof of a car. my buddy in the outback is around 6ft.

loved the X too. its not as slow as some would have you think and it can launch through pretty much anything and make it in just as well. a real off shore kayak.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
stephenG

I'm 6'3" and I fish out of a Hobie Outback with plenty of wiggle room.
stephenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:08 AM   #15
skiptomyzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
you should also look at the trident 15.

X-factor slow, tank and super stable.
I will have to look into it. Maybe the 13 as well. I know bigger is better for handling larger water but I am not sure if I need 15ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
At 5'8" I'm the tallest of my Asian friends. My outback suits me well
Good to hear. I like that watercraft.

Quote:
I really dont have any problem with water in the x factor. If its a really rough day out and im taking waves over the front I will get a little but but nothing I could even pump out.
Yea yours seemed fine I remember you mentioning before. Like the hatch design (although looks like they leak) and livewell on that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smthtnnr View Post
Yeah the outback seems like the right call. It is super stable and plenty fast with turbo fins, and I can load it on my Pontiac G6 (small) no problem
Car wise working with similar as I sold the truck. Somehow the whole turbo fin upgrade slipped my mind but that would do it.

Quote:
If you want fast and still want to paddle tarpon 160 but the outback is an awesome call.
The way it is built/shaped it does look quick (tarpon). I mean it doesn't need to be fast but I don't want to feel like a prius vs anything else haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Im 6'4 300# and ive owned numerous kayaks. My xfactor was a very wet ride and I found that my center hatch at slightly under water dripping into my hull constantly. So far my pa14 is the only kayak ive been truly comfortable on
Yea when I looked at the PA (they only had the 12) I was super impressed how well thought out everything seemed to be. Since it was a floor model I got to play w it a lot more than the others that were on racks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
6'6" amd 245. plenty of room in the PA and its super easy to load on the roof of a car. my buddy in the outback is around 6ft.

loved the X too. its not as slow as some would have you think and it can launch through pretty much anything and make it in just as well. a real off shore kayak.
I sat on the PA it was very large and comfortable. It reminds me more of a boat with fins than a kayak and I mean that in a good way.

I've looked at the Malibu's as well bc even if they do have problems here or there it looks like you are getting a lot for your money, although everyones' opinions on these seem to be mixed where as the Hobies (minus the hull cracking by drive issues they used to have in early 2000's) seem to be that it is one of the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenG View Post
I'm 6'3" and I fish out of a Hobie Outback with plenty of wiggle room.
Good stuff the outback seems to be a solid choice. I know Native copied them somewhat drivewise (although they also have reverse) but when I paddled a few natives before and something didn't feel right so I didn't look into their other models or that one.

In general thank you everyone so far for your input and keep them coming.
Also does anyone on here paddle w the jackson brand?
Old 10-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
Vikingj

6'4", 210lbs. Hobie revo has been just fine for 1-2 trips/week for 4 yrs. Hobie outback gives a little more room for hooping but for fishing I prefer the lighter weight, faster revo.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #17
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
lowprofile is 6'6" 245 - dang you are a big kid!!! no wonder big sharks don't bother you!!!
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote