Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Drake

Idea for a livewell? Opinions....

One of the main reasons I haven't caved and gotten the Hobie Livewell for my PA is 1) Its expensive 2) More to maintain 3) I love my yakpak and hate to give it up.

So, I've come to a possible solution.
I have this empty jug which measures out to exactly 2 gallons. Obviously I wont be able to keep a TON of bait in here, but a few macs and a few dines should do ok with proper flow?

It fits perfectly inside my Yakpak and leaves me enough room to still fit the things I carry anyway (Foul weather parka, lunch, water bottles ect....)
I love the yakpak because it keeps everything I need safe for surf launch/landing, it secures the the boat easy and has all the essential rings to secure my stuff to it. Plus the pouches all come in handy since the PA has practically no storage outside of the center console.

I was planning on just putting a small pump on it, and a drain hose that would go right down into the scupper, which is just under the yakpak.

Is 2 gallons enough? Can I get away with just an airrator? What size pump should I use? Is this a stupid idea?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
echo1er

Is 2 gallons enough? IMO I don't' think its enough. Why? because your not going to fill it up to the top

Can I get away with just an airrator? No, I pier fish as well and I put about five in my 5 gallon bucket with an airrator and they just end up dead.

What size pump should I use? Is this a stupid idea?
http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...-360gph/Detail

this should help you out with an idea.

Cool looking bag. How bout getting a 5 gallon bucket and cutting to fit that bag.
To have it flush so you can close it when transporting. You can place an out take threw the bottom mating it with the scuffer holes. Just to start you off.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1er View Post
Is 2 gallons enough? IMO I don't' think its enough. Why? because your not going to fill it up to the top

Can I get away with just an airrator? No, I pier fish as well and I put about five in my 5 gallon bucket with an airrator and they just end up dead.

What size pump should I use? Is this a stupid idea?
http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...-360gph/Detail

this should help you out with an idea.

Cool looking bag. How bout getting a 5 gallon bucket and cutting to fit that bag.
To have it flush so you can close it when transporting. You can place an out take threw the bottom mating it with the scuffer holes. Just to start you off.
The idea is to maintain room inside to keep other stuff. A 5 gallon bucket will just take up the whole thing =/
Old 04-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
NextBite

Bigger is always better

You could always use a gallon bucket, if all else fails.

Forget my idea.
NextBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
Yakin

My pa i was thinking about doing a kayatank under the cutting board i will have oex doing it and if its good i will tell you the price and give you a report
Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
Drake

I wouldn't give up the center for a Kayatank on a PA. There's no storage as it is already and I tend to carry a lot of rigs.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
Gigafish

Go to target buy a $10 metal mesh basket and latch it over the side of your kayak. Best bait tank I ever had. The basket was 12x24, 15 inches deep. Make a lid for it.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigafish View Post
Go to target buy a $10 metal mesh basket and latch it over the side of your kayak. Best bait tank I ever had. The basket was 12x24, 15 inches deep. Make a lid for it.
question about this idea
it doesn't harm the bait had you paddle/peddle? because I have always wondered if it would be way to much water traveling threw the container
Old 04-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Drake, when I see you saturday I'll bring hose, hose clamps and all the plastic fittings to build you a sick tank, all you need is the container and pump and youre set. I get all this stuff free from work.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
Gigafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakin View Post
question about this idea
it doesn't harm the bait had you paddle/peddle? because I have always wondered if it would be way to much water traveling threw the container
No I never had a problem with water pressure the faster you paddle/peddle the faster your bait will swim.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Too small IMHO, google "vittles vault". Need 5 gallons min. Also type in "cubic inches to gallons calculator". It helps alot. This would be perfect:
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote