Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Yakin

Question Power Pro Braid Line Question

I have always used mono or floro line never used braid once in my life.
I see a lot of people using Power Braid.
I have always wonder what is the difference between power braid and regular braid?!
What are the advantages and dis advantages to this?
Are they good on spinner gear
or what are they used best for? as in live/dead, iron, plastic, or what?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
jorluivil

You're going to get a million and one answers about the good and the bad of braid, best answer I can give it to give it a try and see it you like it. I've caught everything from yellowfin to trout on my spectra and have been using it for well over 6 years now. I have it on all my reels, the only thing I use mono for is as backing or as a topshot.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Talking

power pro is waxed, it sticks to its self, JB or Izor is better.
straight braid on all my reels form 20#-65#. cuts thru kelp, and mono on the cattle boats like butter. it might even cut through those new fangled knot-less hooks I keep hearing about.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
power pro is waxed, it sticks to its self, JB or Izor is better.
straight braid on all my reels form 20#-65#. cuts thru kelp, and mono on the cattle boats like butter. it might even cut through those new fangled knot-less hooks I keep hearing about.
I am actually using Izor right now on my spinners just I keep catching to many fish on this weird fangled hook i got and it keeps taking me into the kelp haha
But is Izor really better because people always tell me I'm stupid for going with 20# Izor on my spinners
Also I put 30# Izor on my penn jigmaster
Old 04-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
gupppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakin View Post
I am actually using Izor right now on my spinners just I keep catching to many fish on this weird fangled hook i got and it keeps taking me into the kelp haha
But is Izor really better because people always tell me I'm stupid for going with 20# Izor on my spinners
Also I put 30# Izor on my penn jigmaster

if i'm not mistaken, bus kid isn't talking about izor mono. izor braid or jb braid/hollow core.
gupppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupppy View Post
if i'm not mistaken, bus kid isn't talking about izor mono. izor braid or jb braid/hollow core.
see what I mean I don't know sh** about braid haha!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
Yakin

my baitrunner

Ok then I'm settled on putting braid on my shimano baitrunner but how should I do it and with what type of line?
Also how should i do the same on my penn jig master old school?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
gupppy

Quote:
Ok then I'm settled on putting braid on my shimano baitrunner but how should I do it and with what type of line?
tons of information/articles written on how to spool a spinner with braid. some say to use mono or tape (electrical) on the spool to prevent the braid from slipping, but then jerry brown says it's unnecessary. to each their own.
wouldn't do it on the penn. the thin braid will get caught in the sideplates easily.
gupppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
I have 65 on my jm. Soak it and wind it on as tight as you can laying it across the spool uneven so when you pull on the drag it doesn't dig in.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
I have 65 on my jm. Soak it and wind it on as tight as you can laying it across the spool uneven so when you pull on the drag it doesn't dig in.
I was going to have bps or some local tackle shop do it for me
Old 04-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
Drake

I didn't read through this whole post, so forgive me if these point have already been made.

1) Don't go for cheap braid like powerpro. It fades, fringes and has a lot of memory to it.

You want a nice limp line for spinning gear. It will prevent wind knots much better. Also, got a little heavier than you would think on the line for spinning gear, at least 40. Spinning gear is more prone to sharp angles when winding in and it will tend to cut in to itself under heavy drag pressure.

Don't make the same mistake I made, and think "ok that should be enough line" just to save some money. One day out on the charters in 300+ ft of water and I was uniknotting line on every reel I had. Do it once, do it right.

Also, a thicker line is less prone to cut into your skin. Since spinning rods bend with the line down, if you have a fat cow on and you're holding it by the handle able the reel, you run the risk of the line becoming taught enough to cut you. It's a problem the Shimano Terez and the Trevalas have.

Hope some of this helps. I also go straight braid. I only put floro leader on when I'm targeting WSB or have a dropper loop set up for bottom fish. Well, I don't use flouro on bottom fish because that stuffs expensive. 20lb mono does the trick
Old 04-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
Yakin

Drake right now I'm running 20lb izor right now on my shimano baitrunner and also was goin to get a local shop to put braid on there for me any good type of brait I should go with since i don't know braid you said more expencive is way better

Last edited by Yakin; 04-18-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Yakin is offline   Reply With Quote