Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
BrokeLoser

Please help me find the hot spots in Dana Point.

I must be an idiot...I've asked this here before...but...I've fished Dana many times and still haven't found the 'spots' / 'holes'.
I've had some of you try to tell me how to get to 'the pipe' but I haven't been able to locate it on my finder. I've even had trouble finding the sweet spot for halibut along Doheny. People talk about the Headlands and Salt Flats which I believe are north of the point / big boiler.
My question:
Does anyone have coordinates for these hot spots?
How about very specific directions?

I love fishing Dana as it is relatively close for me....plus I normally fish with my 68 year old father-in-law so the launch ramp works well for us too. Now....if we could just find the right places to drop a line..haha

Any help will be greatly appreciated....PM me if necessary.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
DanaPT

Sorry those dumb fish aren't playing along.

It's been tough fishing for me too! (water is cold and the fish are harder to come by).

If I had GPS coordinates with fish guaranteed to be in the spot, I would give them to you. send me a PM, leave a # and I'd be happy to share what I know.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
Sorry those dumb fish aren't playing along.

It's been tough fishing for me too! (water is cold and the fish are harder to come by).

If I had GPS coordinates with fish guaranteed to be in the spot, I would give them to you. send me a PM, leave a # and I'd be happy to share what I know.

haha...I wish someone could give me a guarantee...for now I'll settle for instructions on finding the general location (say, within 25yd's) of the few hot spots we all hear referred to along DP.
Thanks DanaPT...I'll pm you and talk to you about it...(I know X-mas day is probably a bad day to do so...haha)
Old 12-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
BrokeLoser

With all of our fish finders out there on the Pacific surely someone has marked the locations mentioned and has coordinates?
Old 12-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

pm amish ed hes out there a lot.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
pm amish ed hes out there a lot.

Will do...thanks bus
Old 12-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
ful-rac
Emperor

Yes the headlands and salt creek are toward the north. As far as hot spots...things change out there from day to day, week to week...it wont neccesarily bite in the same spot the next day or even the next 5 minutes. Its your job to find the areas that have fish, thats part of the fun. The only way to know that is to get out there and fish. Heres a tip, halibut like areas that are sandy next to structure, rocks, kelp, baitfish etc...So you ask how do you find these areas? Learn to read your fish finder.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Yes the headlands and salt creek are toward the north. As far as hot spots...things change out there from day to day, week to week...it wont neccesarily bite in the same spot the next day or even the next 5 minutes. Its your job to find the areas that have fish, thats part of the fun. The only way to know that is to get out there and fish. Heres a tip, halibut like areas that are sandy next to structure, rocks, kelp, baitfish etc...So you ask how do you find these areas? Learn to read your fish finder.

While I appreciate the lesson in philosophy...I should note; I've been out on hundred's of sport fishing boats over the years...all of them have had a sh!t load of GPS coordinates that they use to locate various things under water that they know may hold fish....while we all know that simply having the coordinates to these locations does not guarantee a catch it certainly helps as a base point. Imagine this: You peddle out to the known structures that you have the coordinates to and that are often known to hold fish. You fish those X number of spots first...if you have no luck you then get creative and aimlessly peddle around while watching your finder for structures that may induce a fish habitat...crazy concept?
Further; while some may totally get off on paddling and peddling all over the Pacific chasing fish and reading their finders I tend to prefer to have a 'starting point' or points...At the end of the day...after all the time and money spent, the only thing I really find rewarding is a catch of fish...Frankly, I never brag about the fact that I can read a fish finder or the fact that I know where different species of fish live...but I do brag about catching fish...To each his own...I suppose

Last edited by BrokeLoser; 12-25-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
dc1983

Ill be out at DP in the morning if you want to rag along. I got a new ff and will be trying to mark some new spots
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Start Here

In the spirit of the season here a a great starting point. It's a fairly large rock pile which will be easy to spot now because of the lobster buoys. In a hundred yard swath from this point to the red buoy, are 4 other large rock piles and 8 or 10 other ones that I've marked, Some have buoys on them and most don't. Go find them. This area has yielded to me 7 legal halibut, one 31" ling, and countless clico and sand bass in the last month. All but one halibut and the ling were released.

N 33 27.091
W 117 43.065

I'll be out tomorrow for another try.

The Rossman
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
At the end of the day...after all the time and money spent, the only thing I really find rewarding is a catch of fish...Frankly, I never brag about the fact that I can read a fish finder or the fact that I know where different species of fish live...but I do brag about catching fish...To each his own...I suppose
Well if thats all you find rewarding....then you are going to be dissapointed...alot.

You dont need to brag about knowing how to read your fish finder, in fact i dont know anybody who does...but learning how to interpret your fishfinder, will have you bragging about how much fish you caught alot more.

So your looking for a starting point? What do you want to catch? If its halibut or bass, the headlands and salt creek are great starting points. You already know where that is right?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:07 AM   #12
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I can't do that Steve but I will tell you that if you line yourself up with the Laguna Beach Hospital in 85 ft of water and work up the coast, you will have a lot of action.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #13
theluckypig

fished it today... plenty of bait... but not a single bite... nada... and i was everywhere!!!
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote