Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
buddha

Lews BB2 Inshore Reels

I like low profile reels but most of them are for freshwater not saltwater.

Lew's has two reels now in saltwater in bait casting versions.

Here is a review of the Lew's Inshore BB1 Speed Spool reel.

http://wired2fish.scout.com/story/14...ing-reel?s=537

http://www.lews.com/casting-bb1inshore.php

I recently ordered the Lew's BB2 Inshore Speed Spool which has a bigger line capacity and should get it by the end of the week. Should be a good calico reel.

http://www.lews.com/casting-bb2inshore.php

Anyone else care to comment on Lew's reels.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:05 PM   #2
AirborneYak

I have 2 Lew's speed spool tournament pro. I have used it for fresh and salt and it has held it pretty well. I have been looking into the BB1 though. Let me know how you like it. It just might be enough to convince me to buy it.
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:18 AM   #3
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneYak View Post
I have 2 Lew's speed spool tournament pro. I have used it for fresh and salt and it has held it pretty well. I have been looking into the BB1 though. Let me know how you like it. It just might be enough to convince me to buy it.
The BB2 has a larger capacity spool than the BB1 and it also comes in left handed.

I will let you know how it performs but talking with several guys online in the Texas Kayak Fishing forum they all have given it glowing reviews.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:31 AM   #4
45user

I have couple of Lew's reels and been happy with it so far. They cast very well and kept up with minimal rinsing after every outing
Now I need to take a look at BB2 because I wished they would come out with lexa 300/curado 300 size
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45user View Post
I have couple of Lew's reels and been happy with it so far. They cast very well and kept up with minimal rinsing after every outing
Now I need to take a look at BB2 because I wished they would come out with lexa 300/curado 300 size
Yes the BB2 has the same capacity as the Lexa 300. I will have both reels now.

The BB2 is a lighter reel though.

Last edited by buddha; 03-24-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #6
buddha

Lew's BB2 Inshore Speed Spool Excellent!

I tried the reel out today and spooled it with 12 lb. copolymer izorline. I used a cheap berkley lightning rod m/h with it not the best rod for casting. Until I get my new rod for it this will work.

The results were great. Really solidly built and engineered. Does not feel cheap whatsoever. Casted like a dream and the retrieve was really smooth. Drag was smooth as well with a 14 lb. drag.

This reel has three drainage ports to prevent saltwater from getting in.

I have talked with several people from the Texas Kayak forum and 100% of the reviews have been positive. Very few reviews to be found anywhere and almost none in socal.

This is a great reel to use for all things bass here in socal: freshwater, bay, and calico/sand.

Brass gearing, upgraded bearings, 3 drain ports all make this a nice low profile reel for saltwater.

This is just an excellent reel all around and I am glad that Lew's made the transition to saltwater also as it has a loyal following now. A lot of guys left shimano after the "g" series debacle and they found Lew's.

I may be a Lew's guy for life at least for the bass gear. If they made a baitcaster the size of the Lexa 400 I would definitely give it a go.