Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2024, 12:12 PM   #1
rora
Junior

Minimum size kayak for la jolla kelp

Hey All,

I'm relatively new to this forum so thank you for the warm welcome!

I currently have a native slayer propel 10 that I used primarily for freshwater bass fishing. I have since caught the offshore bug and saw that people go out of la jolla to fish the kelp in their kayaks. What would you say is the minimum needed to get out and catch some yellowtail at the kelp? BFT?

Is there anyway i can help my kayak become more seaworthy, or should i try and sell and get a bigger yak.

Side note, is there any way i can get my kayak ferried out to catalina for a day?

Thank you for any help in advance.

With Regards,
rora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2024, 06:12 AM   #2
FoodGeekFish

Minimum size kayak = what you are safe and comfortable being out in the elements in. I would recommend a 12' minimum, but again, personal comfort level.

Set your expectations appropriately. Bluefin Tuna is incredibly unlikely, and yellowtail are challenging. You might catch one on your first trip, you might still be hunting 10 trips in.

Kayak transport would be Avalon Freight Services - rate as of 5 years ago was ~$35 each way, but you'd want to check in with them for current costs.

But "for a day" will be challenging. Their boat leaves at 4pm in the afternoon, so you'd need to drive up the day before, leave your yak with them, stay locally (or make the haul back down the coast), then catch the ferry across, pick up your yak, try to fish for a bit, then get it back to the freight company in time to do paperwork and not miss your ferry back, then hang out and wait for your yak to make it back that night/next morning.
FoodGeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2024, 11:14 AM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

I agree with Foodgeekfish, It does depend on what your comfortable fishing. Kayak capacity is more important than length. A livewell full of water, a fish bag with ice + tackle -- it all adds up. I prefer a kayak with at least a 450lb capacity. If you have a good day, you might still have to come in early due to capacity issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullKayak.jpg (66.1 KB, 49 views)
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2024, 01:39 PM   #4
Mahigeer

For Catalina, here are the option.

1) Take Catalina express ferry to Avalon and rent one over there. They do have kayaks with rod holder. However, all that I have seen are paddle and nor pedal.
No electronics either.

2) Take a Hobie inflatable.

3) Least recommended: ship a kayak.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2024, 01:41 PM   #5
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
I agree with Foodgeekfish, It does depend on what your comfortable fishing. Kayak capacity is more important than length. A livewell full of water, a fish bag with ice + tackle -- it all adds up. I prefer a kayak with at least a 450lb capacity. If you have a good day, you might still have to come in early due to capacity issues.
Holy cow, those are some catch under your feet.
Old 07-28-2024, 02:50 AM   #6
monstahfish

I prefer a hobie because of the fin drive or a proper paddle kayak for surf launching and would recommend watching a how to video and practicing with no gear before risking flipping and breaking your rods. 12+ feet is a good general rule of thumb and I generally take my outback. That being said, I did take my lynx (11')the other day cause my outback sonar was dead and had no problem fighting and landing some big fish. The benefit of the lynx is it's unsinkable. I did a photoshoot in the passport 10.5 and landed a 20lb white seabass and it did fine. A shorter boat is just a little bit slower and if the current is pulling hard south and you go around the corner into the kelp it can take over an hour of constant pedaling just to get back inside so make sure you're in shape. Just make sure to keep your line from hitting the parting lines on those two piece hulls cause I wasn't ready for a fish to surge and it snapped my braid once and I lost my PB yellowtail.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2024, 08:31 AM   #7
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rora View Post
Hey All,
is there anyway i can help my kayak become more seaworthy, or should i try and sell and get a bigger yak.

With Regards,
In September, or a bit later, I will have two kayaks for sale. A Hobie Outback and 14' pedal.

Send me PM if interested.
Old 07-30-2024, 01:02 PM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Holy cow, those are some catch under your feet.
Thanks, When I put the tunas in the fish bag, the back end of the kayak became slightly underwater. I had to leave the king on the bow to reduce the stern trim for the peddle to the beach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KingonHatche.jpg (52.2 KB, 16 views)
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote